Re: Synaptic options will not tick

On Thursday 09 June 2011 16:55:43 Lisi wrote:
On Thursday 09 June 2011 15:29:22 Mark Panen wrote:
On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 3:48 PM, Lisi <lisi.reisz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thursday 09 June 2011 14:21:12 Mark Panen wrote:
On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 3:18 PM, Lisi <lisi.reisz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thursday 09 June 2011 12:52:41 Mark Panen wrote:
And at the risk of seeming even more repetitious:
Could you run apt-get update followed by apt-get dist-upgrade and
post what you get?  Also it is worth posting the present state of
your /etc/network/interfaces file.  That just _might_ give us
some clues!

Lisi

yes i have tried them all, everyone.

I'm sorry Mark, but without the information that I have asked for,
several times now, I really can't help you.  And I fear that no-one
else will be able to either.

If you change your mind and are prepared to give the information,
then I'll see whether there is anything else I can do.

Lisi

apt-get update
Hit http://mirrors.kernel.org squeeze Release.gpg
Ign http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ squeeze/contrib Translation-en
Ign http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ squeeze/contrib
Translation-en_ZA Ign http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ squeeze/main
Translation-en Ign http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ squeeze/main
Translation-en_ZA Ign http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/
squeeze/non-free Translation-en Ign http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/
squeeze/non-free Translation-en_ZA Hit http://mirrors.kernel.org
squeeze-updates Release.gpg
Ign http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ squeeze-updates/contrib
Translation-en Ign http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/
squeeze-updates/contrib Translation-en_ZA Hit
http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates Release.gpg
Ign http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/contrib Translation-en
Ign http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/contrib
Translation-en_ZA Ign http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/
squeeze-updates/main Translation-en Ign
http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ squeeze-updates/main
Translation-en_ZA Hit http://mirrors.kernel.org squeeze Release
Hit http://mirrors.kernel.org squeeze-updates Release
Ign http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/main Translation-en
Ign http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/main Translation-en_ZA
Ign http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/non-free
Translation-en Ign http://security.debian.org/
squeeze/updates/non-free
Translation-en_ZA Hit http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates
Release Hit http://mirrors.kernel.org squeeze/main Sources
Hit http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates/main Sources
Hit http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates/contrib Sources
Hit http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates/non-free Sources
Hit http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates/main amd64 Packages
Hit http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates/contrib amd64 Packages
Hit http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates/non-free amd64 Packages
Hit http://mirrors.kernel.org squeeze/contrib Sources
Hit http://mirrors.kernel.org squeeze/non-free Sources
Hit http://mirrors.kernel.org squeeze/main amd64 Packages
Hit http://mirrors.kernel.org squeeze/contrib amd64 Packages
Hit http://mirrors.kernel.org squeeze/non-free amd64 Packages
Hit http://mirrors.kernel.org squeeze-updates/main Sources/DiffIndex
Hit http://mirrors.kernel.org squeeze-updates/contrib Sources
Hit http://mirrors.kernel.org squeeze-updates/main amd64
Packages/DiffIndex Hit http://mirrors.kernel.org
squeeze-updates/contrib amd64 Packages Hit http://mirrors.kernel.org
squeeze-updates/main amd64 Packages Reading package lists... Done

apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done

cat /etc/network/interfaces

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
#NetworkManager#iface eth0 inet static

iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.103
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.0.0
        broadcast 192.168.0.255
        gateway 192.168.1.254
        # dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if
installed dns-nameservers 192.168.1.254

#auto eth0
#iface eth0 inet static
#address 192.168.1.103
#netmask 255.255.255.0

On the face of it, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong.  You
started with 6.0.0 and now have 6.0.1, so you have clearly done some
upgrading. update and dist-upgrade both agree that there are no updates
available. Since the system upgraded to 6.0.1 without your realising
it, perhaps it has kept up with any updates that there are.  A slimmed
down Squeeze is not going to have many updates.

But I meant to ask you for your sources.list and mistakenly asked you
for /etc/apt/interfaces, which you had told me was now working.  Sorry.

:-( Could you post your sources.list?  There are some strange lines in

the updates and I have not come across this format, and I would like to
see where they come from.  Perhaps someone else has seen this and I am
showing my ignorance?  E.g.<Translation-en Ign
http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/>, <Translation-en_ZA Hit
http://mirrors.kernel.org squeeze Release>.  In my experience the
language info comes at the end of the line, e.g. <Ign
http://security.debian.org lenny/updates/main Translation-en_GB>, <Ign
http://dl.google.com stable/main Translation-en_GB>.  This machine is
running Lenny, but I have just checked to make sure that Squeeze (on my
granddaughter's box) does indeed do the same and that it is not my
memory playing me false.  It does.

Lisi

cat /etc/apt/sources.list
#

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.0 _Squeeze_ - Official amd64 DVD
Binary-1 20110205-18:15]/ squeeze contrib main

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.0 _Squeeze_ - Official amd64 DVD
Binary-1 20110205-18:15]/ squeeze contrib main

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.1a Update DVD 20110322: amd64 DVD
1]/ squeeze contrib main non-free
deb http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free
deb-src http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free

deb http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main contrib
deb-src http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main contrib

You have a couple of things obviously not there that I find useful, and one
there that I have never had: the kernel ones. I get updated kernels
without having it. But I also have a basic one and volatile (for things
like clamav that are obviously useless if they are not kept up to date).

Try adding the following to your sources.list and see if it makes any
difference:

<quote>
deb http://mirror.ox.ac.uk/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free
deb-src http://mirror.ox.ac.uk/debian/ lenny main

deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main contrib
non-free
deb-src http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main
</quote>

Obviously, change the mirror if you would prefer to do so.

Update and then upgrade. If you still get nothing I think that you just
have to come to the conclusion that you are, by some strange magic, already
fully upgraded, as has been suggested by others as well as by me.

But I would keep those two, or similar (i.e. different mirror, if
preferred), in your sources list.

Sorry - obviously put Squeeze in place of Lenny. Sorry - that is important,
and just may be harmful (improbable).

  • Unmet dependencies installing eclipse from testing on a stable system
    ... eclipse version available in squeeze. ... and added sources for wheezy, ... Translation-en Hit http://ftp.lt.debian.org squeeze-updates ... Packages Hit http://ftp.lt.debian.org squeeze/non-free amd64 ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Synaptic options will not tick
    ... Hit http://mirrors.kernel.org squeeze Release.gpg ... Ign http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ squeeze/contrib Translation-en ... Translation-en_ZA Hit http://mirrors.kernel.org squeeze Release ... Hit http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates/main amd64 Packages ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Synaptic options will not tick
    ... Ign http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ squeeze/contrib Translation-en_ZA ... Hit http://mirrors.kernel.org squeeze-updates Release.gpg ... Translation-en_ZA Hit http://mirrors.kernel.org squeeze Release ... has kept up with any updates that there are. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Synaptic options will not tick
    ... Ign http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ squeeze/contrib Translation-en_ZA ... Hit http://mirrors.kernel.org squeeze-updates Release.gpg ... Translation-en_ZA Hit http://mirrors.kernel.org squeeze Release ... Hit http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates/main amd64 Packages ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Synaptic options will not tick
    ... Ign http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ squeeze/contrib Translation-en_ZA ... Hit http://mirrors.kernel.org squeeze-updates Release.gpg ... Ign http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ squeeze-updates/main Translation-en ... Hit http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates/main amd64 Packages ...
    (Debian-User)