Re: Synaptic options will not tick

On Thursday 09 June 2011 16:55:43 Lisi wrote:
On Thursday 09 June 2011 15:29:22 Mark Panen wrote:
On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 3:48 PM, Lisi <lisi.reisz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thursday 09 June 2011 14:21:12 Mark Panen wrote:
On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 3:18 PM, Lisi <lisi.reisz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thursday 09 June 2011 12:52:41 Mark Panen wrote:
And at the risk of seeming even more repetitious:
Could you run apt-get update followed by apt-get dist-upgrade and
post what you get?  Also it is worth posting the present state of
your /etc/network/interfaces file.  That just _might_ give us
some clues!

yes i have tried them all, everyone.

I'm sorry Mark, but without the information that I have asked for,
several times now, I really can't help you.  And I fear that no-one
else will be able to either.

If you change your mind and are prepared to give the information,
then I'll see whether there is anything else I can do.

apt-get update
Hit squeeze Release.gpg
Ign squeeze/contrib Translation-en
Ign squeeze/contrib
Translation-en_ZA Ign squeeze/main
Translation-en Ign squeeze/main
Translation-en_ZA Ign
squeeze/non-free Translation-en Ign
squeeze/non-free Translation-en_ZA Hit
squeeze-updates Release.gpg
Ign squeeze-updates/contrib
Translation-en Ign
squeeze-updates/contrib Translation-en_ZA Hit squeeze/updates Release.gpg
Ign squeeze/updates/contrib Translation-en
Ign squeeze/updates/contrib
Translation-en_ZA Ign
squeeze-updates/main Translation-en Ign squeeze-updates/main
Translation-en_ZA Hit squeeze Release
Hit squeeze-updates Release
Ign squeeze/updates/main Translation-en
Ign squeeze/updates/main Translation-en_ZA
Ign squeeze/updates/non-free
Translation-en Ign
Translation-en_ZA Hit squeeze/updates
Release Hit squeeze/main Sources
Hit squeeze/updates/main Sources
Hit squeeze/updates/contrib Sources
Hit squeeze/updates/non-free Sources
Hit squeeze/updates/main amd64 Packages
Hit squeeze/updates/contrib amd64 Packages
Hit squeeze/updates/non-free amd64 Packages
Hit squeeze/contrib Sources
Hit squeeze/non-free Sources
Hit squeeze/main amd64 Packages
Hit squeeze/contrib amd64 Packages
Hit squeeze/non-free amd64 Packages
Hit squeeze-updates/main Sources/DiffIndex
Hit squeeze-updates/contrib Sources
Hit squeeze-updates/main amd64
Packages/DiffIndex Hit
squeeze-updates/contrib amd64 Packages Hit
squeeze-updates/main amd64 Packages Reading package lists... Done

apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done

cat /etc/network/interfaces

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
#NetworkManager#iface eth0 inet static

iface eth0 inet static
        # dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if
installed dns-nameservers

#auto eth0
#iface eth0 inet static

On the face of it, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong.  You
started with 6.0.0 and now have 6.0.1, so you have clearly done some
upgrading. update and dist-upgrade both agree that there are no updates
available. Since the system upgraded to 6.0.1 without your realising
it, perhaps it has kept up with any updates that there are.  A slimmed
down Squeeze is not going to have many updates.

But I meant to ask you for your sources.list and mistakenly asked you
for /etc/apt/interfaces, which you had told me was now working.  Sorry.

:-( Could you post your sources.list?  There are some strange lines in

the updates and I have not come across this format, and I would like to
see where they come from.  Perhaps someone else has seen this and I am
showing my ignorance?  E.g.<Translation-en Ign>, <Translation-en_ZA Hit squeeze Release>.  In my experience the
language info comes at the end of the line, e.g. <Ign lenny/updates/main Translation-en_GB>, <Ign stable/main Translation-en_GB>.  This machine is
running Lenny, but I have just checked to make sure that Squeeze (on my
granddaughter's box) does indeed do the same and that it is not my
memory playing me false.  It does.

cat /etc/apt/sources.list

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.0 _Squeeze_ - Official amd64 DVD
Binary-1 20110205-18:15]/ squeeze contrib main

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.0 _Squeeze_ - Official amd64 DVD
Binary-1 20110205-18:15]/ squeeze contrib main

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.1a Update DVD 20110322: amd64 DVD
1]/ squeeze contrib main non-free
deb squeeze main contrib non-free
deb-src squeeze main contrib non-free

deb squeeze/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src squeeze/updates main contrib non-free

deb squeeze-updates main contrib
deb-src squeeze-updates main contrib

You have a couple of things obviously not there that I find useful, and one
there that I have never had: the kernel ones. I get updated kernels
without having it. But I also have a basic one and volatile (for things
like clamav that are obviously useless if they are not kept up to date).

Try adding the following to your sources.list and see if it makes any

deb lenny main contrib non-free
deb-src lenny main

deb lenny/volatile main contrib
deb-src lenny/volatile main

Obviously, change the mirror if you would prefer to do so.

Update and then upgrade. If you still get nothing I think that you just
have to come to the conclusion that you are, by some strange magic, already
fully upgraded, as has been suggested by others as well as by me.

But I would keep those two, or similar (i.e. different mirror, if
preferred), in your sources list.

Sorry - obviously put Squeeze in place of Lenny. Sorry - that is important,
and just may be harmful (improbable).