Re: laptop restart eth0 automatically on plugin or on awake like a desktop

On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 17:48:00 +0100, Brian wrote:

On Wed 08 Jun 2011 at 19:02:43 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

I can't tell for sure, but many users are experincing the same problem,
and not only from Debian but also from Ubuntu and Mint, so... casualty?
:-)

I'm always more comfortable with specifics.

I think that could have been debugged more easily years ago when all was
static (file configuration based) but now with udev events and all that
"dynamicallities" it can be more complicated.

Hum... I don't rebember nothing about dhcp or static addressing but
something about plugging/unplugging the ethernet cable and after that
no interface coming up.

Why would plugging or unplugging the ethernet cable be expected to bring
the interface up or down? The kernel knows what's going on but, apart
from reporting the link is ready or not, does nothing about it. As for
udev - it produces no event when the state of the cable connection
changes.

Hum... what happens when you attach a USB device to the computer? Kernel
detects it and DE mounts it based on user's settings. And what happens
when you dettach the key? Kernel (or udev, or both) remove/umount the
device.

I would have thought that something similar happens with an ethernet
device but I've lost the track to udev development and currently I would
not put my hand in the fire for what and how it does.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

  • Re: udev nach Kernelupdate kaputt
    ... Hast Du devtmpfs einkompiliert? ... IRC war das udev Update schon Ende Mai, ... describes the predictable network interface names in more detail. ... in the kernel configuration. ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc)
  • Re: [kde-linux] Display of network activity quit working.
    ... I think that it might have been exactly when my Ethernet ports were ... interface and/or a single wlan interface, who are unlikely to ever change ... simply disable the new-style udev names and let the kernel ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: set up Xserver for etch upgrade
    ... CD version 2.78 runing on 2.4.27 kernel. ... does not make it work then you might have a problem with udev. ... but its configuration files are still ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQU...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets nest)
    ... Yes, it is up to udev to create the device nodes, and the kernel does not know or care about the nodes. ... udev is user mode code which interfaces with the kernel via sysfs. ... the only kernel interface involved is sysfs. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Device naming randomness (udev?)
    ... my e1000 interface appears as eth0. ... Is this a bug in udev, or the kernel? ...
    (Linux-Kernel)