Re: laptop restart eth0 automatically on plugin or on awake like a desktop

On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 23:29:39 +0100, Brian wrote:

On Thu 09 Jun 2011 at 19:11:48 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

The question remains - Why would plugging or unplugging the ethernet
cable be expected to bring the interface up or down?

It does not have to be an isolated event.

For example, the computer is hibernated or suspended, the cable was
disonnected, you attach it and then you awake the system that triggers
the restore script for the network service and the interface that was
marked with "allow-hotplug" cannot be up.

You're moving the goalposts!

No, I'm not changing the target just giving you examples of what can make
the networking service to be restarted. I'm just reading the facts and
trying to know how to interpret them:

- The was a problem with an ethernet device not coming up by its own when
the cable is being reconnected.

- The interface was defined with "allow-hotplug" stanza.

- By modifiying that line to "auto" the problem seems to be solved.

Now we have to extract some conclusions which is what I tried to do.

But if you want a detailed explanation about where the problem is better
ask to someone that understand the inners on how the kernel works, how
udev works -plus how they deal with buggy hardware or firmwares or
additional buggy software (scripts) that can interere for this to work as
expected- and what bugs you can expect as a result of all this mess.

I really would like to have a concise and clear explanation on why this
is happening but I'm afraid I don't have ;-(

Greetings,

--
Camaleón