Re: [Debian 6] Unable to install Debian 6.0.1 - no supporting mirrors found

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011, Scott Ferguson wrote:

Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 19:04:36 +1000
From: Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@xxxxxxxxx>
To: debian-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Debian 6] Unable to install Debian 6.0.1 - no supporting mirrors
found

On 10/06/11 15:37, Bret Busby wrote:
Hello.

I have been trying to install Debian 6.0.1 amd64 version, with a
firmware netinst iso (from
http://cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/

), and, at the package manager setup stage, every mirror that I have
tried within Australia, and a couple in the USA, return the error
"mirror does not support version (squeeze)".

Please advise.

Thank you in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

I can confirm that my local optus, netspeed, transact mirrors, and the
monash uni mirror are all up (amd64). I suspect the installer might be
asking for something weird.. did you choose http or ftp?

If you still have access to the install at that point:-
When you open a vt (F3) what is the installer asking the repositories
for? (from memory F7 will take you back to the installation screen).

Cheers

--

We don't make mistakes.

:)

Hello.

I have just switched back to the computer onto which the Debian 6.01 amd64 version is to be installed (I have to disconnect the monitor from this computer, and connect it to the other computer, as the monitor that I had connected to it, appears temperamental, and the monitors are now apparently irreplaceable, with all new monitors now being the bodgy widescreen things), and written down the content of the last text screen displayed, which I found at <CTRL><ALT<F4> (It is <CTRL><ALT<F5> to return to the GUI installation screen), and, rather than typing all of the content of the screen, I think (but, with my little amount of knowledge, am not sure) that, as suggested, the problem may lay in the URL format for the repositories.

for example, for AARNet, the line from the screen (without the date/timestamp at the start of the line), is

choose-mirror[6418]: DEBUG: command: wget -q http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/debian//dists/squeeze/Release - O - | grep -E '^(Suite|Codename:'

and for UWA, is

choose-mirror[6608]: DEBUG: command: wget -q http:ftp.uwa.edu.au/debian//dists/squeeze/Release -O - | grep -E '^(Suite|Codename):'

Now, as I have said, I am of little knowledge in Linux and Debian, but, to me, the double slash between "debian" and "dists", in the URL's, makes me wonder whether that might be the source of the problem.

I have tried to transcribe the contents of the screen, as accurately as possible, (as I said, apart from the date/timestamp at the start of each line).

If what I have suggested, is not the source of the problem, I could type in the whole of the content of the last screen of text that is displayed, but I thought that, if I am correct in my proposition, then there is no point in typing in the remainder of the content.

I note that the content of the screen, does not include any error message to the effect "Network is unreachable", so indicating, in the absence of such a message, that the network connection appears to be functioning properly.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
A Trilogy In Four Parts",
written by Douglas Adams,
published by Pan Books, 1992

  • Problem installing Etch using local mirror
    ... I'm trying to install Debian Etch from floppy and local mirror. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • unsubscribe
    ... > newsgroup for Debian ... > forward to install to your hard drive. ... > to install the Cygwin stuff on all my Windows boxes. ... like in an SSH client like PuTTY ?? ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: debian-user-digest Digest V2014 #1074
    ... checking the full error correction data. ... the devs and the users in debian is entirely inappropriate, ... Some packages could not be installed. ... I have just tried to install vlc on this laptop. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: 503-I386 net install problem
    ... Downloaded today as an ISO from the Debian site. ... On the install screen it shows the "Select and install software" banner ... It does this for any mirror I select. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • New Debian31r1 Install - help me optimize - TNT2 - sudo - KDE - Xwindows
    ... of futzin with a new debian ... install, which was needed after a munged KNOPPIX install (I know, I ... the command 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86' (which allowed me to ... trying to get the SOUND working yet..there's what seems to be a PCI ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)