Re: location dhcpd.conf

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 21:17:07 +0200, Bonno Bloksma wrote:

Are there any more surprises like that and how do I find them after a
version upgrade?

Most of the surprises (at least the bigger ones) can be discovered by
reading the Release Notes:

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/index.en.html

I have read those at least three times from chapter 1 to 7 while making
my own notes about what was really important for me. Just checked again,
nothing about the dhcp server changes.

Sure not!

Release Notes document the most important changes, those that can render
your computer unusable and I'm afraid the config file for DHCP server
daemon does not fall into that category :-)

Am I supposed to read every package page to find differences like
this? It is not even mentioned at the page I reference above, I just
noted that I had two dhcpd.conf files and that the date on the conf
files was different from what I expected en then went looking for more
information.

The rest of the surprises could be found in their corresponding doc
packages and/or list of changes file.

There is indeed a change log for each package, but I cannot find that
kind of information. I can see a change log for the isc-dhcp-server but
the only thing in there about dhcpd.conf is something from 2006.

And there are also some nice docs for each package and README files ;-)

IIRC, there was a transition from "dhcp3-client" (package available for
lenny) to "isc-dhcp-client" (in squeeze) so the mess could had been
generated because of that.

Maybe someone can update the change log for the dhcp system to reflect
the change in config file location. Fortunately I do not to much
different packages on our systems so there are not too many packages to
check.

The changelog reflects the changes done in a package while in this case
there two packages providing the same service, so deciding what to keep
and what to install is up to the user/admin.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

  • RE: location dhcpd.conf
    ... I can see a change log for the isc-dhcp-server but the only thing in there about dhcpd.conf is something from 2006. ... Maybe someone can update the change log for the dhcp system to reflect the change in config file location. ... Fortunately I do not to much different packages on our systems so there are not too many packages to check. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: I have an Openoffice question for small business.
    ... I used it some times ago but can not remember the exact syntax, but you should be able to quickly find some samples on debian's forums. ... Search for apt-pinning (the name of the technique iirc) and you should find nice examples in debian's forums. ... This technique is more often used to only use some packages from testing/unstable/experimental on stable, but you should be able to adapt it for your needs easily: simply give very low priorities to the packages you want. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: etch --> testing
    ... | matter is there any information about when a lenny freeze might happen? ... packages, desktop effects, etc. ... Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: 3d acceleartion
    ... there is absolutely no 3d acceleration. ... Either install the debian packages for xfree from dri.sf.net (check the ... you could build it and get 3d support. ... > with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Running testing? -- read this.