Re: X bother consoles

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 15:37:21 +0200, maderios wrote:

On 06/21/2011 01:27 PM, Camaleón wrote:

I would be nice that you tell us what piece of hardware did you change.
I can guess it's the VGA card but it can be a fan or your sata dvd
recorder, who knows :-P

I changed everything (P8P67 motherboard, Intel CoreI7, ....) except
keyboard, mouse and screen

Oh... more items than I thought.

You mean that nouveau driver works fine?

It works fine with KMS, but it doesnt when KMS is disabled.

When you disabled KMS, what driver was loading the X server?

So let's recap.

You want to use nvidia closed driver and get it to work on terminal
consoles, right?

As you already have found the culprit (nvidia driver) and given that
this closed driver is completey up to nvidia, I would start by using
the most up-to-date version (275.09.07) and search in Google about
similar cases, like these, to find a possible workaround:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/45929/virtual-terminals-messed-up-with-proprietary-nvidia-graphics-driver

Giving a whirl to Xorg logs may also help.

As I said above, I tested also with a Matrox P690 PCIe (+vesa driver)

Why vesa? Matrox cards should have their own set of X drivers.

graphic card and I got exactly same display problem => the problem is
not with the nvidia driver

The problem can be present with both, vesa and nvidia.

Nothing useful at logs?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

  • Re: Need to make sure I have the nvidia proprietary driver running.
    ... I installed the nvidia proprietary drivers in my debian 64bit laptop. ... Any change made in this section will need a server restart ... # The Driver used by Bumblebee server. ... Initializing built-in extension Generic Event Extension ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: nvidia-driver rebooting machine on X startup
    ... Same driver different hw, same os version... ... FreeBSD is a registered trademark of The FreeBSD Foundation. ... acpi0: <Nvidia AWRDACPI> on motherboard ... Identifier "Microsoft_Natural" ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Again: the Nvidia driver does not work with Gnome 3
    ... Driver: 275.09.07 ... It's not quite the same card as yours, ... The last time I did a full install was with Fedora 10. ... Drivers from NVidia ...
    (Fedora)
  • [UNIX] NVIDIA Binary Graphics Driver for Linux Buffer Overflow
    ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... NVIDIA Binary Graphics Driver for Linux Buffer Overflow ... XRenderCompositeString8 which tells the X server to render glyphs onto the ...
    (Securiteam)
  • Re: Beryl options and nvidia
    ... >>> I have beryl running with nvidia prop. ... indication that the 1.0-9629 beta driver was the first driver to ... provide support for TFP, not that the support was incomplete. ... included) who would gladly help nVidia test beta versions of your ...
    (Fedora)