Re: Restarting network

On Thu, 7 Jul 2011 17:20:05 +0100
Brian <ad44@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu 07 Jul 2011 at 15:42:14 +0100, Tony van der Hoff wrote:

Having made some config changes to my network, I did:

root@tony-lx:/home/tony# /etc/init.d/networking restart

That results in:

Running /etc/init.d/networking restart is deprecated because it may
not enable again some interfaces ... (warning).
Reconfiguring network interfaces...

OK, so it's deprecated. What should I use instead??

'/etc/init.d/networking restart' will only act on interfaces which are
marked 'auto' in /etc/network/interfaces. The same applies to
stop/start.

All your interfaces are marked 'auto'? Go ahead and use the networking
script.

But presumably at boot, all interfaces, whether auto or not, are
successfully started, and presumably properly closed down on shutdown.
Is there no command-line access to whatever mechanism does this? Do we
really need to keep a list of current interface names on a sticky
note on the monitor and ifup them individually?

Absolutely no offence meant at all to anybody, but that sounds a bit...
well... retrograde.

--
Joe