Re: Restarting network

On Thu, 7 Jul 2011 17:20:05 +0100
Brian <ad44@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu 07 Jul 2011 at 15:42:14 +0100, Tony van der Hoff wrote:

Having made some config changes to my network, I did:

root@tony-lx:/home/tony# /etc/init.d/networking restart

That results in:

Running /etc/init.d/networking restart is deprecated because it may
not enable again some interfaces ... (warning).
Reconfiguring network interfaces...

OK, so it's deprecated. What should I use instead??

'/etc/init.d/networking restart' will only act on interfaces which are
marked 'auto' in /etc/network/interfaces. The same applies to
stop/start.

All your interfaces are marked 'auto'? Go ahead and use the networking
script.

But presumably at boot, all interfaces, whether auto or not, are
successfully started, and presumably properly closed down on shutdown.
Is there no command-line access to whatever mechanism does this? Do we
really need to keep a list of current interface names on a sticky
note on the monitor and ifup them individually?

Absolutely no offence meant at all to anybody, but that sounds a bit...
well... retrograde.

--
Joe

  • Re: non-root process and PID files
    ... Using pidfiles doesn't solve this problem either. ... > because it currently insists on continuing to use data interfaces. ... I'm simply claiming that using a process monitor is far superior. ... pidfile restart a service, provided you agree that this sometimes useful ...
    (freebsd-hackers)
  • Re: Restarting network
    ... Running /etc/init.d/networking restart is deprecated because it may not ... enable again some interfaces ... ... Reconfiguring network interfaces... ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: [opensuse] openSuse 12.1 - observations upon gnome3 and systemd
    ... systemd and loss of network: After upgrading, ... Doing a manual restart of the network ... "redirecting to systemd" and still no network. ... interfaces with ifup, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Problem with Network Manager
    ... I click on it it only shows wired network, and this is only if I start ... You need to comment out all interfaces in that file except for the "lo" ... Probably because your interfaces file is confusing Network Manager, ... Shouldn't have to restart nm-applet (I use knetworkmanager which certainly ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • /etc/inid.d/networking script
    ... So I tried "/etc/inid.d/networking restart" without any change and the result was the same: The interfaces went down and didnt got up. ... I took a look on the /etc/inid.d/networking script and noticed that the "ifup -a" wouldnt ifup the interfaces. ...
    (Debian-User)