Re: Does IPv6 preclude use of a NAT gateway?

On Jul 10, 2011 11:36 AM, "Teemu Likonen" <tlikonen@xxxxxx> wrote:

* 2011-07-10T10:48:46-03:00 * Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

On Sat, 09 Jul 2011, Randy Kramer wrote:
It's probably not the best thing, but I depend on the NAT gateway for
a lot of my security--with IPv6, will I still be able to do that?

Please use a proper firewall, instead. A general blocade on incoming
connections is _VERY_ crappy protection.

Thanks for the info. Could you summarize briefly what a "proper
firewall" does?

A firewall drops everything. Then you put holes in it.

Relevant Pages

  • Firewalls That Report / Filter Just Incoming Connections?
    ... Is there a "personal firewall" that does a good job of reporting / filtering ... incoming and outgoing connections that violate the firewall policy? ... failed incoming connections. ...
  • Re: Understanding NAT, Firewalls, TCP/IP
    ... They may have a home router firewall, ... > outgoing tcp/ip connections to anything other than port 80 or FTP ... have very strict incoming policy. ... But connections initiated from them (any port) will be allowed, ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: Office Mac 2008
    ... incoming connections". ... [MVP] ... Entourage I get the message "do you want to allow incoming network ... In the security setting under "firewall" all the office ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office)
  • Re: Firewalls That Report / Filter Just Incoming Connections?
    ... filtering incoming and outgoing connections that violate the firewall ... just the failed incoming connections. ...
  • Re: Slippery intruder -- please advise
    ... By default, though it prevents incoming ... >connections without an existing outgoing connection (which arn't ... OP doesn't specify what sort of "firewall" he has, ...
    (comp.security.misc)