Re: is vlc package on really broken or is it just me

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 13:11:00 +1000
Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 12/07/11 11:15, briand@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
apt-get install vlc yields the following:

vlc : Depends: vlc-nox (= 1.1.10-1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libavcodec52 (>= 4:0.6-1~) but 4:0.5.2-6 is to be installed or
libavcodec-extra-52 (>= 4:0.6-1~) but it is not installable
Recommends: vlc-plugin-notify (= 1.1.10-1) but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: vlc-plugin-pulse (= 1.1.10-1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages

any way I can install the stable version ? well at least I have a nouveau that works :-)

Brian

Umm, you haven't been using the debian-multimedia repository have you?
Because the main Debian repositories only supply the versions apt is
asking for in Wheezy and Sid...

If you have installed vlc from multimedia - remove it, comment out the
multimedia repository, update, then reinstall.

I _was_ using multimedia but I took it out of sources BEFORE I upgraded to wheezy, and I took it out by deleting the line.

dist-upgrade thinks everything is good.

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done

anyway to "reset" the package list or otherwise check it for consistency ?

Brian

  • FS: Complete Linux Recording Package Ready To Roll.
    ... How to install Rehmudi-2.0 ... if you don't have any sound, ... dependencies of Agnula Packages ... ... from the new kernel. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Complete Linux Recording Package Ready To Roll.
    ... How to install Rehmudi-2.0 ... if you don't have any sound, ... dependencies of Agnula Packages ... ... from the new kernel. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Apt Gone Mad?-Or Is It Me?-Expert Help Needed
    ... So tried to upgrade OO to 2.0 but Apt refused to do so. ... Aptitude doesn't show anything but Wajig shows unmet dependency for kdelibs-data. ... The following packages are unused and will be REMOVED: agsync arson barcode brahms cdda2wav cddb digikam digikamimageplugins gmessage guarddog guidedog hotswap-gui hotswap-text i2e id3v2 kbarcode kbear kbiff kdebase-dev kdirstat kile kimdaba klog klogic kmymoney2 knetfilter knutclient komba2 kover kprof kpsk krusader ksimus ksimus-boolean ksimus-datarecorder ksimus-floatingpoint ksocrat ksocrat-data kvdr kvirc kvirc-data kvirc-doc kwavecontrol kxmleditor lesstif2 libdynamite libimlib2-dev libkonq4-dev libmimedir liborange ... ChatagnierL-Home:/temp# wajig install openoffice.org Reading Package Lists... ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: debian-user-digest Digest V2014 #1074
    ... checking the full error correction data. ... the devs and the users in debian is entirely inappropriate, ... Some packages could not be installed. ... I have just tried to install vlc on this laptop. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Which debian sources to use to install to Knoppix 4.0.2?
    ... running into a problem when I install software to version 4.0.2 that I ... Check out the list of extra packages to be installed, ... akregator ark cupsys cupsys-bsd cupsys-client gcc-4.0-base gs-common ... kdepim-kfile-plugins kdepim-kio-plugins kdeprint kdesktop kdessh kdf ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)