Re: Can not startx anymore after the laptop was forced to turn off

On 11 Jul 2011, Wayne Topa wrote:
Not sure this is your issue but most people don't run startx directly. It's
generally an init script to start the desktop manager (xdm, gdm, kdm, etc).

Oh? I have been using startx for 15 + years now. Please let me know
why I should be using xdm, gdm, kdm?

Those of us who don't want to use Gnome, KDE and the rest of the desktop
managers necessarily do use startx. Incidentally, it provides an easy
way to pass commands to X when it starts.

Anthony (using Icewm)

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  • Re: getting xorg working on an old box .....
    ... > just startx command on an old machine. ... gdm a lot more so than kdm (I chucked gdm because I ... Anyway, I agree with your advice: Use xdm, or no desktop manager at all. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: X11 display managers and the keyboard
    ... >> When I use xdm, gdm or kdm the keyboard does not work in the ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: GDM vs KDM - which is better?
    ... difference is between using either desktop manager. ... GDM warping my KDE experience, is there some way I can tell the system ... if I set it to always use KDM would my Gnome sessions be ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Next On The Checklist - VNC
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Desktop environments
    ... XDM can also do this, although to be honest I've never used XDM, only KDM ... I prefer KDM or GDM to handle this task - it launches a GUI (based on QT ... There's handbook details for both here: ...
    (freebsd-questions)