Re: Problems with PAE kernel sort of solved.

On 29/07/11 10:14 AM, Camaleón wrote:

Yes, that I guess is why the system now "sees" only one CPU when I
have a dual core. But I still fail to understand why turning off
hyper-threading allows the kernel (supposedly who only major change is
use of the PAE extension) to boot when it wouldn't before.

Because PAE is disabled?

cat /proc/cpuinfo show PAE is not disabled in this machine. For some weird reason the PAE kernel can't boot with hyper-threading enabled. BTW I don't have a dual-core cpu as I once thought.

Something seems seriously broken with your machine and PAE (HT/PAE
combo), dunno what nor why because your system looks PAE-aware and
capable :-?

I have since discovered a couple of other people who have the same
problem...all on machines using older (circa 2002) Intel boards and cpu's.

Anyway I guess I am barking up the wrong tree - the kernel developers
seem comfortable with their assumption that it's a hardware fault on my
machine. Could be, or maybe not.

Maybe... not enough data to tell but a BIOS update may help, I would
check it out, just in case you haven't already done.

Been there..done that :) The BIOS is the latest available, and Intel naturally has dropped support for this MB.
My interim solution has been to boot the 2.6.38 kernels in Sid, and/or
Ubuntu Maverick and Natty on the other partitions.

--
Cheers
Frank

  • Re: why did FC6 install a XEN kernel on my inspiron?
    ... FC6 now expects that people making use of Xen will need PAE ... kernel installed? ... If so, I'd boot to that. ... rescue CD and installing a non-Xen kernel. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Problems with PAE kernel sort of solved.
    ... changing BIOS settings in an attempt to get it to boot. ... was..a costly trade-off to run the new kernel. ... use of the PAE extension) to boot when it wouldn't before. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Problems with PAE kernel sort of solved.
    ... changing BIOS settings in an attempt to get it to boot. ... until I turned OFF the hyper-threading option. ... costly trade-off to run the new kernel. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: [opensuse] Cant boot with all the memory
    ... Can't boot with all the memory ... complete installation with mem=4096M but the system won't boot without ... You probably need "pae" kernel. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Running pae kernel on non-pae system
    ... I think the pae bit will only be used by CPUs that support it, ... Everything else I've read says the kernel ... boot non-pae systems get "This kernel requires the following features ... not present on the CPU: pae Unable to boot - please use a kernel ...
    (Debian-User)