Some coaching on apt-get and downgrading Package gtk+-2.0

To get to the point quicker, skip over the "Background:" down to "My
question / problem:"

Background:

I'm not really a C or C++ programmer, but I've been working on a program
(well, an addition to an existing program--a lexer for Scintilla for
the Foswiki/ TWiki markup language) and "limping along" well enough but
very slowly.

Yesterday, my build started failing with messages like this:

"Package gtk+-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gtk+-2.0.pc'
No package 'gtk+-2.0' found
make: Nothing to be done for `all'."

It took me a while to realize what must have happened, and then I think
I confirmed it. Earlier that day, I had installed a new version of
Adobe/Shockwave flash by using:

"aptitude install flashplugin-nonfree"

(Aside: It took me a while to get that to work, I finally had to find
the new libflashplayer.so (in a /root directory) and copy it
to /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so, and then restart
iceweasel. (I'm not sure why it got installed to /root--probably some
mistake I made--maybe having Iceweasel running while I tried the
aptitude install, or maybe it was at some other point I made a
mistake.)

Anyway, I then remembered that during the aptitude install of
flashplugin-nonfree, it deleted and replaced a lot of packages, among
them:

"Preparing to replace libgtk2.0-0 2.12.12-1~lenny1
(using .../libgtk2.0-0_2.18.6-1~bpo50+1_i386.deb) ..."

I think that is the root of my problem, and, iirc, the version of
Scintilla that I'm currently developing in cannot use gtk2.0-0_2.18.
There is work going on to change that, but I'd like to finish my
development work on the older version of Scintilla before contending
with an upgrade.

My question / problem:

So, I think what I have to do
is "downgrade" /libgtk2.0-0_2.18.6-1~bpo50+1_i386.deb back to
libgtk2.0-0 2.12.12-1~lenny.

I'll be reading man pages and googling, but I'd like to do that with a
minimum of learning (i.e., with a minimum of mistakes), so I'm seeking
advice.

I guess there is a slight chance that all I have to do is, as one of the
make messages says:

"Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gtk+-2.0.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable"

I.e., find the PKG_CONFIG_PATH and point it to the directory containing
the new /libgtk2.0-0_2.18.6-1~bpo50+1_i386.deb instead of the old
libgtk2.0-0 2.12.12-1~lenny (but, I would have thought they'd both be
on the same path). Let me look into that a little bit before sending
this email...

Ok, I'm back. I hoped/thought that aptitude (or apt-get) had something
a "what provides" command which would tell me what package I need to
install for `gtk+-2.0.pc', but maybe I'm remembering that from my
Mandriva days.

I tried "aptitude install gtk+-2.0.pc" but that tells me:

"Couldn't find any package whose name or description
matched "gtk+-2.0.pc""

So, I'll send this and keep digging.

Randy Kramer

  • Re: Help Getting Connected to Internet
    ... I think running dselect and making choices with that software package may help you set up the right sources.list in /etc/apt. ... Once that's done you will want to run aptitude update then aptitude dist-upgrade then aptitude install apt-file then run apt-file update. ... For sure you want to aptitude install debian-reference and maybe lynx though several other browsers exist lynx will work in text and be able to let you read the debian-reference package. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: manually purge .deb file
    ... hello, my previous command was aptitude install libgtk2.0-0, sorry about ... here is dpkg --purge result ... Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Is this bug in aptitude?