Re: How do you change file associations in Thunar?

On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 10:54:45 -0500, Jason Hsu wrote:

On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 10:30:32 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón <noelamac@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Where are the file associations in the Thunar file manager, and how
do I change them? When I click on a file in the Thunar window
manager, I still get AbiWord for *.doc and *.odt files and Gnumeric
for *.xls files.

(...)

Take a look into this forum thread (specially message #5) and see if
that helps:

I looked at the /usr/share/mime/glob and /usr/share/mime/glob2 files,
and it says at the top that these files should not be edited because
they were generated with the update-mime-database command.

So how do I use the update-mime-database command to make the changes I
need to make?

Hum... true. That scares a bit, I agree :-)

If you want to take the correct path, take a look at GNOME docs for mime
types and how to edit them in the right way:

http://library.gnome.org/admin/system-admin-guide/stable/mimetypes-modifying.html.en

or this one from FreeDesktop:

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/AddingMIMETutor

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

  • Re: How do you change file associations in Thunar?
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: reading MS word files
    ... that its the only format around, ... but collumns, tables, images, the works. ... I've tried AbiWord but found that it couldn't ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: vim + LaTeX (Was: What am I missing without mutt?)
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: RTF - proprietary or open?
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: How do you change file associations in Thunar?