Re: Running a script on monitor connect/disconnect

Hi,

(...)

Just a quick note here. Not sure if you have tried with "krandrtray" or
better yet, as you are using the ATI closed drivers, you may test their
catalyst control center utility to handle video screens (resolution/
position, etc...).

I bet with the open radeon drivers this would be very easy to achieve...
I used krandr as well, but it has a bunch of bugs in 4.6 that got fixed for
4.7, so I went one level down and used xrandr directly. Even if krandr worked,
I would not know how to set up a default configuration that's automatically
applied on boot, or should it do that automatically?
I used to get a message from KDE saying a new screen was attached and whether
I wanted to open the KCM module, but since the KCM module for display
management has even more bugs than krandr, I disabled it and now I do not know
how to get it back. Maybe doing so and upgrading to KDE 4.7 will indeed solve
my issues (if the Plasma bugs I ran into got fixed as well).

On my old installation I used the AMD catalyst, it's horrible - changing the
multi-monitor setup requires a reboot, and it meddles with the Xorg.conf in
bad ways. Not to mention a strange screen overlap issue (one column of pixels
from the left screen appearing on the right one). Really, what I got running
now is already much better than anything I was able to do with that tool :D

Kind regards,
Ralf