Re: 2TB file system

On 2011-08-17 16:19:27, Dejan Ribič wrote:
BTW: Didn't Hitachi used to be IBM? I am just asking because
I didn't have the best experience with IBM drives, had two of them
and they both broke within 18 months(lucky for me I had quaranty for
them :D ).

Yes. Deathstar ring any bells?

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitachi_Deskstar>

Knock on wood I never had drives go bad on me (Seagate, IBM,
Fujitsu, Maxtor, WD).

Things change very quickly with drives, but perhaps this article
is helpful to ascertain reliability (yes, it says SSD but it has
lots of data on drives as well):

<http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-reliability-failure-rate,2923-3.html>

/Allan
--
Allan Wind
Life Integrity, LLC

  • Re: Screeching fan in Ultra 31310 ext HD enclosure; IBM DTLA 307030 HD info; preferred enclosures.
    ... the IBM drives even when they were labeled as IBM products. ... In my Ultra enclosure, not a lot of air moves, but simply replacing the ... when I'm using that equipment. ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)
  • Re: [SLE] Installation and Parted
    ... I have 3 drives to play with. ... IF you are able to re-WRITE a new partition table ... I couldn't alter that drive's partition table in SUSE or Windows ... I have two of these IBM drives and both have failed in the same ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: RAID 5 q - in simpler terms - THANKS!
    ... and especially drives that have been spinning for years ... ... IBM drives or IBM recommended drives this has never happened. ... example, if its striped on disks 1-4, then all expansion will be on ... On your statement that no downtime is ever involved on mirroring, ...
    (AIX-L)
  • Re: "Delayed Write Failed"
    ... IBM drives are made by Hitachi, and I've probably replaced more 2.5" notebook ... Their reliability is none too good. ...
  • Re: Hard Disks
    ... I have a number of IBM drives; all of which are still going strong after many ... unlike on some Maxtor drives I could mention. ... seagate drives to be very good recently, ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)