Re: Need dial-up friendly install on USB stick

On Fri 19 Aug 2011 at 10:31:16 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

Rob Owens wrote:

With Debian Live, you should be able to install a dialer (kppp is one
that comes to mind).

Chuckle - it's the "chicken and egg" problem.
My starting point is I have to take my Windows laptop to local library
for high speed access. The nearest known LUG is >200 miles away (am in
rural SW Missouri). Then I need either to identify an iso with active
dialer OR have a way to download the dialer and dependencies using
Windows.

Apart from being bandwidth challenged at home your situation is no
different from anyone else's who installs Debian to a USB stick.

Choose an iso image. You already know how to put it on a USB device and
boot successfully from it. In Debian download the packages you know from
your research are needed to get the modem going. kppp has been
suggested. I'd add wvdial amd pppconfig to the list.

Depending on your wifi card, you may need to
install special packages and/or enable the non-free repos.

Assumed. My tests have established that there is at least one driver
minimally compatible with my hardware. If I can get either working, the
other can be bootstrapped.

lspci or lsusb (in Debian) will tell you how to proceed with wifi.

  • Debian and KDE
    ... I am using the latest Debian woody and installed KDE. ... part of the install so I apt-get installed kppp. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • unsubscribe
    ... > newsgroup for Debian ... > forward to install to your hard drive. ... > to install the Cygwin stuff on all my Windows boxes. ... like in an SSH client like PuTTY ?? ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: debian-user-digest Digest V2014 #1074
    ... checking the full error correction data. ... the devs and the users in debian is entirely inappropriate, ... Some packages could not be installed. ... I have just tried to install vlc on this laptop. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Installing an Alternative Init?
    ... Allowing the user to choose this at install time from the interface is ... It makes Debian seem partial to Red ... I meant that one vendor seeks to control the Linux ecosystem. ... You can still use the software after you stop paying for it in commercial distribution, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • New Debian31r1 Install - help me optimize - TNT2 - sudo - KDE - Xwindows
    ... of futzin with a new debian ... install, which was needed after a munged KNOPPIX install (I know, I ... the command 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86' (which allowed me to ... trying to get the SOUND working yet..there's what seems to be a PCI ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)