Re: [OT] advice re Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1 TB 7200 RPM Internal Hard Disk Drive

On Monday 26 September 2011 17:12:42 francis picabia wrote:
On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 11:32 AM, Andrew McGlashan

<andrew.mcglashan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

Lisi wrote:
Is the Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1 TB 7200 RPM Internal
Hard Disk Drive worth the extra money over the Blue ranges?

And would you recommend it?  I don't want to cause myself complications
with another dud drive. :-(

Of all the options from WD, I would definitely go with the Black ones --
they have longer warranty and are a much "safer" bet.  But as with all
HDDs, they will fail one day .... you are much more likely to get longer
service from a WD BLACK though.

Here's a fair summary page:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/internal/desktop/

NB: The warranty is longer for a good reason and you're likely to have
larger cache on the drive as well.

According to the product pages for WD Black or Blue drives, they are
suitable for RAID 0/1
on consumer desktop only. WD recommends their Enterprise line of
drives (e.g. RE4)
for servers running RAID. Look at their site for more information.
When you reach
the page for a drive, click on the lower banner "More Features".
Only then do you see
about RAID suitability and TLER issues with the particular drive.

Thanks, Francis - but David had understood what I meant and answered exactly
the question that I was asking, so his reply was, from my point of view,
perfect. I accept that to give the perfect answer he had probably had to use
divination, but he had done so to great effect.

Lisi

  • Re: raid controller
    ... In his article he states four major reasons to discourage RAID; ... Without RAID you could do a traditional backup at 8:00 AM and at 8:30 AM ... But It's asking for 'RAID Controller' ... hard drives with drive/s C on both drives. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Disk partitioning question
    ... A hardware RAID Volume may exist without any RAID Drives on it. ... > This single array will show up as Disk 0 in Windows Disk Manager. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Need help installing OS6 on Dell PowerEdge 2600 with PERC4/Di RAID
    ... > like a fresh install and porting their application and data to the new system. ... PERC4/Di RAID on the motherboard, Dell DLT tape drive, Dell slimline ... PATA connector usable for two PATA drives. ... After downloading drivers from both SCO and Dell to create the ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)
  • Re: Disk partitioning question
    ... > A hardware RAID Volume may exist without any RAID Drives on it. ... This single array will show up as Disk 0 in Windows Disk ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • How I built a 2.8TB RAID storage array
    ... My 2.8TB RAID 5 array is finally up and running. ... Nine 400GB PATA drives; eight for use, ... Two Highpoint RocketRAID 454 cards. ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)