Re: [OT] advice re Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1 TB 7200 RPM Internal Hard Disk Drive

On Monday 26 September 2011 17:12:42 francis picabia wrote:
On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 11:32 AM, Andrew McGlashan

<andrew.mcglashan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

Lisi wrote:
Is the Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1 TB 7200 RPM Internal
Hard Disk Drive worth the extra money over the Blue ranges?

And would you recommend it?  I don't want to cause myself complications
with another dud drive. :-(

Of all the options from WD, I would definitely go with the Black ones --
they have longer warranty and are a much "safer" bet.  But as with all
HDDs, they will fail one day .... you are much more likely to get longer
service from a WD BLACK though.

Here's a fair summary page:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/internal/desktop/

NB: The warranty is longer for a good reason and you're likely to have
larger cache on the drive as well.

According to the product pages for WD Black or Blue drives, they are
suitable for RAID 0/1
on consumer desktop only. WD recommends their Enterprise line of
drives (e.g. RE4)
for servers running RAID. Look at their site for more information.
When you reach
the page for a drive, click on the lower banner "More Features".
Only then do you see
about RAID suitability and TLER issues with the particular drive.

Thanks, Francis - but David had understood what I meant and answered exactly
the question that I was asking, so his reply was, from my point of view,
perfect. I accept that to give the perfect answer he had probably had to use
divination, but he had done so to great effect.

Lisi