Re: portable driver

On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 10:40:24 +0800, lina wrote:

On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 11:05 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

(...)

Determine where is the disk/partition and then mount it -first attempt-
as usual, i.e. (do not copy/paste, adjust it to your needs):

mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt

Thanks. it works.

Good :-)

just a little question here,

I only have 2 partitions in hard drive, why there are 6 sdb which ranges
from sdb1 to sdb6.

Dunno... attach the drive and give us the output of (as root):

fdisk -l /dev/sdb

I even don't know which two exactly are the true one, so tried one by
one.

are there some way to identify each? sdb.

Yes, you can "label" partitions to identify them :-)

Look:

stt008:~# blkid|grep sdc
/dev/sdc1: LABEL="PRUEBAS" UUID="F839-2B41" TYPE="vfat"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's my small USB flash drive (128 MiB) with just one partition on it
that's labeled "PRUEBAS" and then I can mount it by issuing:

sm01@stt008:~$ umount /media/PRUEBAS

stt008:~# mount -L PRUEBAS /media

stt008:~# mount|grep -i sdc
/dev/sdc1 on /media type vfat (rw)

How to give a label to a partition? I always make that step when
formatting the drive but it can be done afterwards with "tune2fs" or
"e2label" utilities (on ext2/3/4 based filesystems). Read man page for
detailed info on how to use them :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

  • Re: /etc/fstab question
    ... unrestricted access to everything on a particular partition. ... Mount needs an existing directory in the file system to mount /dev/sda5. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: gid option on ext3 in fstab
    ... But then i remembered the gid option in fstab. ... I use the same option on my laptop (mounting vfat partition), ... The gid and uid mount options only work with file systems such ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: [opensuse] Hal & Policy Kit?
    ... I am unable to mount them in 11.2 getting the message "Hal Device Volume ... I'm confused, when you boot 11.2, or any of the other OS's, I ... the drive where the partition should have been mounted, ... cat /proc/partitions ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: A-posteriori use of another HDD for the /home/username
    ... If I mount the new HDD on ... The only stupid questions are the ones that people don't ask..... ... partition, it "hides" the old data. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Problem with random disks mount sequence
    ... I'll get random mount sequences. ... At the beginning the USB ... nautilus remember that 'storage3' was 1st partition, ... SCSI drives are listed by order of discovery. ...
    (Fedora)