Re: Re: HD Data Recovery

Silently seconded. But I guess it's human nature to simply not listen
until it turns out that was a wrong choice. And plenty never learn
afterwards either.

Anyway, on topic:

Most tools allow you to tell the Linux kernel the amount of sectors,
heads and cylinders the disk has. It should simply be on the label,
and some additional information, such as the use of LBA48, which is
the case for most newer disks.

If you're too lazy to find a proper backup program etc., put down some
more money and buy the new harddisk... twice!
Attach them on 2 separate channels (would be appropriate in the case
of IDE disks) and you'll have an increased reading speed in the
meanwhile.
Then use Linux' software RAID capabilities to use partitions on both
disks as a RAID1 array. You may have to use expert install for that.
If one disk fail in the future, you still have the other one. Using
mdadm you can replace the failed one with a new device.
Possible partition setup (equal on both disks):
Primary #1: Normal Partition, e.g. ext3, mounted as /boot (just feels
safe in case of older boot managers that don't support sRAID)
Primary #2: Linux swap (Note: swap on both disks means a swap area of
DOUBLE the size of this partition, so 512MB-1GB should be great)
Primary #3: The rest of the space, mounted as / (will be /dev/md0)
-OR- ~20-60GBytes
Primary #4: None -OR- the rest of the space, mounted as /home (will be
/dev/md1), so you can re-install the OS without touching your own
files

  • Re: Partitioning scheme for file/mail server
    ... make swap 2x the maximum amount of memory that can be fitted ... I did a 2GB swap each of the two disks. ... get with the 21st century and use LVM :-). ... did manual image dump of / and /boot on spare partition from time to time. ...
    (uk.comp.os.linux)
  • Re: New HD advice
    ... >> on partition and mount to the target directory or directoryon ... > A word about swap space. ... > installed as IDE primaries, never having two disks on the same IDE ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Flintstone Linux.
    ... I think there's a bug in the Linux video handler (or ... It allows me to configure disks at will, ... > office chair and wake up the screen of one of my two servers. ... > Microsoft are greedy cunts and should be broken up, ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: OT - Another question. Ping LZ
    ... I just stumbled across "The Ultimate Boot CD" at http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/ which includes 4 programs specifically for cloning, as well as many that can do cloning in addition to other functions. ... It's rather verbose, because I didn't tell you a specific Linux distribution to use, nor do I know exactly how your disks will show up. ... The "mount" command will tell you what's mounted. ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)
  • Disk corruption with vfat?
    ... My disk is 160GB large and I use a vfat32 partition, ... Linux and Windows on my dual boot machine. ... Before that I had 80GB disks with the same setup and I never had this problem. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)