Weird DNS error?

Hi,

I'm a bit embarrassed to be asking this question, but I just did a
brand new installation of Squeeze. The install seemed to go fine and I
didn't notice any problems.

Upon booting, however, I don't seem to be able to resolve any hosts
other than www.debian.org and security.debian.org.

If I bring up epiphany it can load various pages on www.debian.org. If
I try to browse elsewhere I get errors. The software center also
allowed me to apply security updates.

If I open up a terminal, ifconfig shows an IP address, and I can
traceroute to other hosts for which I know the IP, but I can't for
anything I specify by name.

I tried to apt-get update, but, of course, it can't find the mirror.

I'm not sure what I'm missing here. Can anyone help?

I'd be happy to supply whatever information is needed to help diagnose
the problem.

Thanks in advance!
Greg

  • Re: how to avoid download during debian installation.
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Post-BSOD problems ? caused by security updates
    ... only system changes have been the installation of the ... neither my PS/2 mouse nor my PS/2 keyboard would work. ... before I installed the security updates, ...
  • Post-BSOD problems ? caused by security updates
    ... changes have been the installation of the latest security updates. ... came up but neither my PS/2 mouse nor my PS/2 keyboard would work. ... Also (and this may be a side effect of the security updates), ...
  • wheezy: / mounts readonly at boot, I cant figure out why
    ... # /etc/fstab: static file system information. ... # swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation ... but I think it started after doing a dist-upgrade on wheezy, ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: How to add self-compiled kernel module in debian installation
    ... I managed to compile the megaraid_sas module by using an older version of it. ... How to add self-compiled kernel module in debian installation ... So you finally managed to compile the driver for Debian, ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)