Re: Kdesud locking up, JMicron card reader not working, USB 3 Controller stops working after resuming, horizontal tearing on fullscreen

Hi again Camaleón, list:

On Nov 6, 8:20 am, Camaleón <noela...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 21:28:48 -0200, M. wrote:
Hello Camaleón, hello list,

I had to search for this post on the interwebs, as I'm not subscribed.
But finally a good soul answered me! Thanks, Camaleón! :-)

You're welcome :-)

I know you're not subscribed to this list (me neither) but you can still
reply to the thread you opened instead posting a new message. I say this
because this new message is now unthreaded, with bad quoting -I will try
to manually correct this- and with not further references so I have to
search your first posting to remember the topic...

So here it goes:

1) I use KDE 4.6, the latest version from unstable, and synaptic to
install packages. synaptic needs sudo permissions, and KDE does that
usingkdesud. The problem is that sometimes thekdesudprocess hangs,
and every other call tokdesudgets stalled. I have to go to the
terminal and kill it by hand - after doing that, synaptic and any
other process that callskdesudworks fine. This happens on ALL debian
unstable installations, both desktop and laptop.

Is that happening regardless of the command you run with "kdesu" or just
when you launch Synaptic?

The only program that I' aware that's runningkdesudis synaptic, so I
dunno.

You can invoke "kdesu" (or "kdesudo") to run whatever program you want
with root's permissions, not just Synaptic ;-). Kdesu is like "su" (or
"sudo") but aimed to run GUI based applications.

So, if you run "kdesu kwrite" it will ask for root's password and then
will launch kwrite as root ("man kdesu" if you are interested in this
application).

Note: if you run "kdesudo kwrite" it will ask for your user's password
instead the root's one, as long as sudo has been properly configured in
your system.

Thanks for that. I knew that kdesudo, kdesu (two different programs!)
you can run a program inside kde as root. The problem is that
sometimes the process hangs, especially when running Synaptics (but it
happened with other programs too). Only killing the hang process
kdesudo would work again.

2) The laptop has aJMicroncard reader that only works if the card is
inserted at boot time.

Mmm... what's dmesg output when you connect a card? Is it detected/
mounted?

NO dmesg output. Not detected, not mounted, not anything.

That's weird. You mean that when you insert a card, once the computer has
booted, there is no system reaction at all? Have you tried with different
media types (SD, MMC, Memory Stick...)? Are you putting the card in the
right position (upside down or face up)? I ask this because some embedded
card readers have the wire contacts at the top and others at the
bottom :-)

Yeah, I tried all sorts of cards, with no luck. NO reaction system at
all. Weird, right? Gonna try Hans suggestion, boot with the card in
the reader and see which modules are running.

3) The USB 3 controller on the laptop never worked correctly. It is

USB controller: NEC Corporation uPD720200 USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev
03) USB controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset
USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 06)

The two USB 3 ports never worked correctly: they disconnect or never
connect usb peripherals, giving xhci_hcd errors like

[ 6135.109318] xhci_hcd 0000:05:00.0: WARN: short transfer on control
ep [ 6135.112271] xhci_hcd 0000:05:00.0: WARN: short transfer on
control ep [ 6135.115274] xhci_hcd 0000:05:00.0: WARN: short transfer
on control ep

(...)

I have commented in another thread about a similar problem:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/.../msg02561.html

I've blacklisted xhci_hcd, and so far the controller hasn't acted up.
But this gonna take longer to test.

If the USB ports are behaving okay regardless the above error you don't
need to worry. I have read that these are harmless kernel messages that
should go away in the next kernel releases.

But if you were having problems with your USB 3.0 devices, this is
something worth to report. Blacklisting the USB 3.0 module is a by-pass
more than a real solution.

Should I report this bug against the kernel? Bugs against the kernel
takes _forever_ to be addressed...

4) This happens with all video applications on KDE, VLC, mplayer, etc..
When playing in fullscreen, both machines (with Nvidia graphics cards
and the driver from Nvidia), with compositing or not, with opengl
backend or not, vsync enabled or not, any video shows horizontal
tearing.

For this one I would start debugging a driver issue by loading "nouveau"
instead "nvidia". If both drivers experience the same it can be
something pointing to Xorg :-?

The last time I tried to install nouveau, it tried to remove all nvidia
packages, and after that, it didn't work - black screen, no output, no
X, no console. I'll try again, but I reported this to the kde bug
tracking, and they're also trying to figure it out. So far, no luck.

Use a Debian LiveCD, it will load "Nouveau" drivers and you can test if
the same happens from here without needing to mess your current running
system by switching between the two VGA drivers.

Will do!

Please CC me as I'm not subscribed to the list.

Sorry, I can't :-(

I had to search this on a weird forum, but at least I found it. Why you
can't CC me?

Because my newsreader does not provide such option :-(

I'm using now the google interface, let's see if this work!

Thanks!

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

  • 2,6.26-rc4-git2 - long pause during boot
    ... 46e4fd28cc537ba700eb4f5652abf043fed4d76d M drivers ... The config file for that kernel is attached as are the kernel log for booting ... when I plug a usb storage device in. ... # SCSI device support ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Lacie Mobile Disk 250 GB USB 2.0 not recognized by my computer
    ... i bought a "Lacie Mobile Disk 250 GB USB 2.0 HI-speed", but it seems not recognized by my computer. ... 00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, ... Kernel driver in use: uhci_hcd ... # Enable WiMAX to see the WiMAX drivers ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: 2.6.33-rc7 problems usb CF
    ... Concerning the problems in the non working card reader. ... USB) ... Stock kernel but not with my config. ... # CPUFreq processor drivers ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Regression: Problem in using USB Bluetooth Dongle (Worked fine in 2.6.24.x)
    ... At least until kernel version 2.6.24, I was able to use my USB ... bluetooth dongle to download contacts from my phone. ... # AX.25 network device drivers ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Several OOPSes in net/sched/sch_generic.c, kernel/softirq.c (and other places)
    ... I have witnessed several kernel oopses in a vanilla 2.6.32 kernel of different patch levels. ... As I have no idea how I can trigger this oops -- it just happens after a few hours of running -- I'll list what I'm using the machine for: it's running Debian squeeze with a custom built kernel, vanilla 2.6.32.7 (.config attached). ... A WLAN AP is running over the USB wireless stick, which is bridged with the LAN side of the one NIC. ... # Device Drivers ...
    (Linux-Kernel)