Re: OT: Just a simple query
- From: Ismael Scalcon <thesupermouse@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 21:12:01 -0200
To clarify things up (ok, a bit off topic):
Red Hat Linux is a commercial distro, but what they sell is the supporte
services. The thing is, you cannot get RHL without paying for the support.
But it's still opensource, so the source code is free to download and
compile. The guys at CentOS do it, they get all the source code for RHL,
remove the Red Hat branding and distribute it.
Fedora is just like a "testing bed" for Red Hat. They often try new things
on FC to see if they work before implementing it on RHL.
About the "New Interface", that's called Gnome Shell, and runs over Gnome
3. There is an project to maintain the old interface running over Gnome 3,
but I don't know how stable it is. But many people who like GTK are turning
to XFCE or LXDE, and there's also people going to KDE, to get a more normal
desktop environment. I, on the other hand, don't have anything against it...
2011/11/9 Tom H <tomh0665@xxxxxxxxx>
On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 6:30 PM, Miles Fidelman
Red Hat Linux = Red Hat's original commercial product
Commercial?! You could get it for free like Fedora as well as get it
for free and then enter into a service contract with RH.
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact
- Prev by Date: Re: Adobe flash is dead
- Next by Date: Re: wheezy update system - how?
- Previous by thread: Re: OT: Just a simple query
- Next by thread: Re: OT: Just a simple query