Re: can I safelly remove gnome ?

Lorenzo Sutton wrote:
On 14/11/11 11:19, Joao Ferreira Gmail wrote:
Hello all,

I'm going to start using xfce4.

Can I safelly "apt-get remove/purge gnome"

Or should I expect any side impacts ?

Depends on what you call 'safely' and on what you are going to remove (gnome is actually dozens of pakcages). Side effects will be all of those not-so-evidetlty-related-to-gnome packages which you might remove and which are doing important stuff on your system, for example gdm3, network manager, gedit etc. Policykit stuff probably

Has anyone done this before ?

Yes I did it. Although I don't think just purging gnome tout-court has any motive if not experimental/learning. The best option would probably be fresh install with xfce4.

<snip>

That's what I did: D-i Wheezy, change sources to Sid, dist-upgrade + install xfce4 + all my usual packages, just no gnome-<anything>.

Hugo

  • Re: can I safelly remove gnome ?
    ... Side effects will be all of those not-so-evidetlty-related-to-gnome packages which you might remove and which are doing important stuff on your system, for example gdm3, network manager, gedit etc. Policykit stuff probably ... The best option would probably be fresh install with xfce4. ... Anyway after removing most gnome-related packages I installed xdm and slim as replacement to gdm, had to fiddle wit various low-level system files to get gui shutdown/reboot working and mount usb disks as users. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Xfce steals keyboard shortcuts?
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Xfce steals keyboard shortcuts?
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: X-terminal-emulator kills X
    ... Launching X-terminal-emulator immediately kills X in Debian Lenny, kernel 2.6.26+17, Xfce4, running on an IBM NetVista 6578-RAU. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Terminal Emulator (was Fwd: Re: How to set display resolution manually?)