Unable to boot Debian 6

I downloaded a copy of the Debian 6.0.3 amd64 CD1 iso, to install it on a computer on which I had thought that I had been unable to instal Debian 6.

When I booted the computer, to go into Ubuntu 10.04, to reboot with the CD, I found that the GRUB menu included an installation of Debian 6.

The computer came with MS Windows 7 (? - the latest current version) Pro 64 bit, and I installed Ubuntu 10.04 on it, then apparently managed to instal Debian 6.0.1, or, part of it.

So, I tried to boot it, and it went through the boot sequence until the following lines, at which point the boot sequence stopped.

What is wrong?

<computer name> login: [11.794285] tg3: eth0: Link is up at 100Mbps, full duplex.
[ 11.795448] tg3: eth0: Flow control is on for TX and for RX.
[ 11.797364] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready

and then it just sits there, and looks silly.

Please advise.

Thank you in anticipation.

Bret Busby
West Australia