Re: disable beep for wall command

On Tue, 2011-12-06 at 10:38 -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:
Iuri Guilherme dos Santos Martins wrote:
What's making that horrible beep is the calling of the funtion
sigaction() with the first parameter being SIGALRM, and then it
being called the function alarm().

Sorry but actually SIGALRM relates to the program event signals and
has nothing to do with the speaker. I know it is called an "alarm"
but it isn't related to any type of alarm sound. The sigaction() call
is the new standard replacement for the classic signal() system call
which was different on different systems. SIGALRM is the signal
number designated for alarm events such as timeouts. If your program
needs to wake up at a certain time, say one minute in the future, then
it can set an alarm for this and be woken up by the system at that
time and it can sleep until them not taking up resources.

As we said, disabling your pc beep disables this, as disabling only
the wall will not solve your problem (other programs will also beep
the whole time).

If your ALSA mixer does not have this (are you sure?), then maybe
your sound card is controlled by other system that's not ALSA. In
that case the gnome-volume-control may or may not have the pc beep
option, but check the preferences again.

On my laptop machine I disable the speaker by blacklisting the
'snd_pcsp' module. I believe that is the alsa module. The module
name will be different in each sound system and in the old OSS days I
remember it being 'pcspkr'. If you are using yet a newer different
sound system (pulse audio?) then it will probably be yet a different
name.

Try looking for and removing snd_pcsp as first pass.

$ lsmod | grep pcsp
# rmmod snd_pcsp

Bob

$ sudo lsmod | grep -i snd
snd_hda_codec_hdmi 26548 1
snd_hda_codec_idt 53794 1
snd_hda_intel 26182 4
snd_hda_codec 72799 3
snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_idt,snd_hda_intel
snd_hwdep 13186 1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm 63744 4
snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
snd_seq 45093 0
snd_timer 22917 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device 13176 1 snd_seq
snd 52798 16
snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_idt,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
soundcore 13065 1 snd
snd_page_alloc 13003 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm

you dont happen to know witch one of this modules is causing it? :) none
is culprit at first sight by name

greets!
aL