Re: Going to 64bit

On Saturday 21 Kislev 5772 17:45:49 debian-user-digest-
request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Wednesday 18 Kislev 5772 16:04:23 David Baron wrote:
I have a 64-bit Intel CPU but have been gleefully running my 32-bit Sid
on it.

Can one install the 64-bit kernel and upgrade other packages piecemeal
or must one do it all in one go? In other words: Will
all/most/some/none 32-bit programs work with it?

(Has the new multiarch organization made this easier?)

Repliers said emphatically NO, but ...
It apparantly CAN be done!

~$ uname -a
Linux dovidhalevi 3.2.0-rc4-amd64 #1 SMP Mon Dec 5 03:26:57 UTC 2011
x86_64 GNU/Linux
I did install amd64-libs which also pulled lib64ncurses5 (sort of thought
it would be needed, may not?)

Strictly speaking you haven't actually done it yet. You have
installed a 64-bit kernel and some 64-bit libraries which are
installed off to the side of the main system libraries. That is a
special case way to run (some) 64-bit applications. It isn't a
complete system and is not the equivalent of a system installed as a
64-bit system. It is somewhat of a step along the road to true
multiarch support. Useful. But special.

The main issue is that eventually you will run into a program that
needs a library that you won't have installed on your system.

Obviously. Only the kernel and its modules are 64b. I might try a few 64-byte
programs but everything else as well as other installed kernels are 32b.

When the 64b kernel is off experimental and after having used it a while, then
the choice needs be made, i.e. get rid of the 32 bit kernels and start
installing real 64b packages. BTW, how do I instruct apt-get, etc., to do so?

  • Re: Old versions Backports?
    (Debian-User)
  • [opensuse] Re: Manual dist upgrade procedure(s) & tools/progs/aids?
    ... the machine couldn't be taken offline to do a fresh install. ... and the older software needs the old libraries. ... The new kernel is only copied into place...it doesn't ... sufficient reason to upgrade a server. ...
    (SuSE)
  • input method on fc3?
    ... FC3 and soundcard ... >> without problems and sound works fine. ... What modules were loaded with kernel ... I can install and configure samba on Linux as easily as I can install ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Looooong Horror story, 10.04.4 LTS on an amd turion 64 bit laptop version
    ... I used a procedure which installed a custom combo of kernel 3.5.7 ... which appeared to install without any gotchas. ... The update-manager finished, I had it recheck, nothing left to do ... No networking at all, usb detection of my plugging in the radio ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Fedora Core 2, Averatec 3220 notebook
    ... I recently bought an Averatec 3220 notebook computer and have spent some ... Following is a detailed "howto" guide for installing Linux (Fedora Core ... Linux distro, which is easy to install and use, and for lots of answers ... We need one because the default Fedora Core kernel doesn't grok NTFS ...
    (Fedora)