Re: bcm4331 firmware installer package

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 4:49 PM, Rafał Miłecki <zajec5@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
W dniu 22 grudnia 2011 09:45 użytkownik lina <lina.lastname@xxxxxxxxx> napisał:
On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 4:34 PM, Rafał Miłecki <zajec5@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2011/12/22 lina <lina.lastname@xxxxxxxxx>:
On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 3:07 PM, Rafał Miłecki <zajec5@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2011/12/22 lina <lina.lastname@xxxxxxxxx>:
I am still a bit confused. (First thanks for the links all of you
provided, but I have visited those web before).

Here is the thing:
BCM4331 802.11a/b/g/n fit for
BCM4331              b/g  HT (r1)

What does the 802.11a for?

Well, your card can operate in 5GHz band (frequencies). But I'm not
 really sure why you ask about this at all.

 If you want to try experimental BCM4331 support you have to:
 1) Install kernel 3.2-rc3 or newer
I have the 3.2.0-rc6
 or
 2) Install compat wireless

 After that you've do install firmware (check for wiki howto for kernel
 3.2 and newer).

after installation of the compat-wireless,

from
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#firmware

 # aptitude install firmware-b43-installer

Setting up b43-fwcutter (1:015-9) ...
Setting up firmware-b43-installer (1:015-9) ...
No chroot environment found. Starting normal installation
Unsupported device(s) found: PCI id 14e4:4331
Aborting.

I don't know which part is wrong here.

Your tool is too old (support for BCM4331 is really recent).
sorry, here you mean, which tool?

Just do as I said and use howto for kernel 3.2, not distro-specific
howto. You nede to install b43-fwcutter and manually download file for
I can't tell the difference. (I really need detailed instructions,
thanks for your patience ahead)

I tried to follow what you said before, with the kernel 3.2-rc6
install the compate-wireless,
but have problem in the following install the firmware-installer.
firmware extraction.

wget http://bu3sch.de/b43/fwcutter/b43-fwcutter-015.tar.bz2
tar xjf b43-fwcutter-015.tar.bz2
cd b43-fwcutter-015
make
sudo make install
cd ..

export FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR="/lib/firmware"
wget http://www.lwfinger.com/b43-firmware/broadcom-wl-5.100.138.tar.bz2
tar xjf broadcom-wl-5.100.138.tar.bz2
sudo b43-fwcutter -w "$FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR" broadcom-wl-5.100.138/linux/wl_apsta.o

Thanks and ?

--
Rafał

  • Re: Looooong Horror story, 10.04.4 LTS on an amd turion 64 bit laptop version
    ... I used a procedure which installed a custom combo of kernel 3.5.7 ... which appeared to install without any gotchas. ... The update-manager finished, I had it recheck, nothing left to do ... No networking at all, usb detection of my plugging in the radio ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • input method on fc3?
    ... FC3 and soundcard ... >> without problems and sound works fine. ... What modules were loaded with kernel ... I can install and configure samba on Linux as easily as I can install ...
    (Fedora)
  • Fedora Core 2, Averatec 3220 notebook
    ... I recently bought an Averatec 3220 notebook computer and have spent some ... Following is a detailed "howto" guide for installing Linux (Fedora Core ... Linux distro, which is easy to install and use, and for lots of answers ... We need one because the default Fedora Core kernel doesn't grok NTFS ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: install woes
    ... looking at the Fedora 9 64bit DVD: ... I'd try the acpi=off, but I didn't need any boot options, as far as I remember ... appended the kernel, probably post-install. ... but on attempting to install, it freezes up at the test media screen. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Probably stupid question, but
    ... Flash is in the repos. ... The package contains a script that downloads ... If you manually install it, ... If you need a RT kernel for CAD/CAM work, fine, run the RT ...
    (Ubuntu)