Re: Installing security updates

T o n g wrote:
Is there any easy way to installing only the security updates?

Yes. Run Debian Stable which is currently Squeeze and only have
Squeeze archives in your /etc/apt/sources.list file.

Do not run Wheezy nor Sid because those change daily and will offer
much more than security upgrades.

My box maintaining strategy is, the least maintenance possible the
better. E.g., I only want to upgrade the minimum set of packages. So of
all the packages that I need to upgrade, I only want to upgrade those
security updates. How can I do that?

For me that is the default. Are you running Stable Squeeze?
Apparently not. If you were you wouldn't be asking this question.

What are the contents of your /etc/apt/sources.list file (and any
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/* files) that is causing you to be offered
upgrades that are not from Squeeze? Remove those entries and you will
no longer be offered those upgrades.

Bob

  • Re: Squeeze System "Bricked" after Software Upgrades 09/04
    ... used the standard kernel mapping (chosen during Expert install). ... Squeeze with no proprietary firmware and the stock repositories (no ... Below is the list of software upgrades applied this morning. ... I have no previous kernels from which to boot the system. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Squeeze System "Bricked" after Software Upgrades 09/04
    ... I have a Panasonic subnotebook that has been functioning superbly for months under Squeeze with Xfce/gdm. ... It has an integrated Intel video system and a Japanese / English keyboard with which I have used the standard kernel mapping (chosen during Expert install). ... This is Squeeze with no proprietary firmware and the stock repositories. ... From the list of upgraded software I suppose that my problem is either with the linux-image upgrade or with the xserver upgrades. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Squeeze 6.0.3 -> 6.0.4 broke my Xorg
    ... a one monitor desktop. ... And is there a way to configure apt so that upgrades stop clobbering my ... I'm running a dual screen setup with my laptop and Squeeze too. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Squeeze 6.0.3 -> 6.0.4 broke my Xorg
    ... I'm running a dual monitor setup with fglrx. ... I have upgraded from Squeeze 6.0.3 to 6.0.4 and after reboot I only ... I've run the latest point release on half a dozen Squeeze boxen running ... And is there a way to configure apt so that upgrades stop clobbering ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Java and avoiding software piracy?
    ... upgrades, the company staying in business or continuing to work on the ... the rental model more thoroughly puts you at the ... channels from packages you had resulting in your having to pay extra ... they can just squeeze and squeeze. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)