Re: Removing debian from hdd

On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 15:05:58 -0300, Guido Martínez wrote:

I recently borrowed a hard drive and installed debian on it, alongside
windows. I used it for a couple of weeks.

Later, I tried to remove debian by deleting the partitions I had
installed it on, but that caused grub to fail horribly, and I had to
reinstall debian. How can I remove debian? Can I make grub ignore that
partition and then delete it?

I don't understand what's your final goal, let's see...

You have a hard disk with windows and debian installed on different
partitions. Fine.

GRUB is the default bootloader which allows you to boot into Debian or
windows. Fine.

You have deleted/formatted your Debian partitions. Fine. Then you
reinstalled it (? - this was not needed at all).

Now what do you want to do? What do you want to get? Do you want to keep
your Windows install and use the windows bootloader? If yes, there is a
"fixmbr" command you can run from within windows recovery console to
restore windows NT loader.

Hint: next time, instead installing GRUB into the MBR you can leave it on
the first sector of a partition and mark the GRUB's partition with the
bootable flag, this way you keep your windows bootloader intact if you
decide to remove linux afterwards.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

  • unsubscribe
    ... > newsgroup for Debian ... > forward to install to your hard drive. ... > to install the Cygwin stuff on all my Windows boxes. ... like in an SSH client like PuTTY ?? ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Make WiFi work.
    ... I've just installed Debian next to Windows 7, ... I compiled kernel 2.6.36 with the driver source I downloaded ... Modprobe I need in order to install the driver. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Windows kill Linux?
    ... Now during every install after CD1 ... a dual boot with Windows. ... Windows can not detect ext3 partitions. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Information in Computer Management tool
    ... <deleting all partitions and formatting the drive. ... Internet until you have installed Service Pack 2 and have the Windows ... I'm afraid to put a password on Administrator. ... Back up your data and do a clean install of Windows including ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: NT and disk hardware configuration problem
    ... I then installed Windows NT 4.0 Workstation. ... Cound not read from the selected boot disk. ... operating systems in later partitions. ... I intend to install OS/2 after Windows NT and Windows ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware)