Re: dhclient renewal

hvw59601 wrote:
Camaleón wrote:
On Sat, 07 Jan 2012 10:19:58 -0600, hvw59601 wrote:

The 2wire router from ISP Telmex Infinitum (Mexico) went on the blink so
they gave a new one. It's a Thomson TG585V8.

Hey, we've got a bunch of TG585v7 (for ISDN lines) :-)

One thing that I noticed is that the external IP now changes about every
hour or so, when the internet goes offline and after a minute or so
comes online again.

External (routeable) or internal (local network) IP?

External IP

The other thing is now I see:

Jan 7 10:09:08 HDBB dhclient: bound to 192.168.1.190—renewal in 55
seconds.

While previously I saw:

Dec 31 08:01:13 HDBB dhclient: bound to 192.168.1.190—renewal in 40438
seconds.

Why the difference?

(...)

Maybe the time for the leasing has decreased with the new device, but I guess this can be tweakable from the router's web interface (or by means of telnet) :-?

Look, this is from the router's configuration page:

***
Home > Home Network > Interfaces > LocalNetwork [ Configure ]

DHCP Lease Time: 1 day, 0:00:00
***

I see this:

DHCP Lease Time: 0 days, 23:59:49

but it is not configurable. And then I still see in syslog:

I take that back, it *is* configurable, but 23 hours is fine with me, 1 minute is not. Change it to 12 hours maybe? Would I mess things up? I hate to talk to Telmex because then you have to hide the fact that you are running Linux and pretend you are Window$ :-(

Hugo