Re: grub-pc mdadm root

Some searchs talk about a separate /boot partition - I don't
understand why that is needed or relevant.

I'm assuming I'd make a mdadm v 1.2 raid 1 partition for root.

Your /boot must be in a regular partition or in a raid1 volume. It may
either have it's own filesystem (I typically use one that's 512mb in size)
or in the root filesystem. If it's in the root filesystem, then that means
that root should be in a regular partition or in a raid1 volume.

I typically put /boot in raid1 then create a raid5/6 volume, then I create
lvm volumes that use the raid5/6 volumes.

Relevant Pages

  • SUMMARY: Moving /usr From Under Root "/" To Its Own Partition
    ... One of the reasons for doing this is to end up with a smaller root ... Install the boot block and boot off the new drive. ... " In order for the root partition to be fscked and remounted ... D> temporarily on the existing disk. ...
    (SunManagers)
  • PROBLEM: GPT partition table + RAID: kernel could not load init while root filesystem is mounted
    ... I am trying to migrate from old root filesystem (linux raid1 on disks with msdos partition table) to new disks with GPT partition table. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Grub Manual
    ... I have digested what you all have said and applied it to the small file I wrote on the Grub Manual. ... Please no more about what is root. ... Many people keep the entire Linux in one partition and in that case both of the root point to the same partition. ... Your computer often wants to use the name of the kernel. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: user failures
    ... I had my boot drives partition table zeroed out last night by something ... to the filter screen, but when I click the apply button, anything I've ... I've nuked /root/kmailrc, and then restarted kmail as root, with no ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Live vv installed Linuxes?
    ... which partition is the root filesystem, ... filesystem for errors, this is then mounted. ... perhaps by changing partition sizes, but also how it might accomodate ... simply install its bootloader inside its own root partition and you're ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)