Re: smtp/postfix/sasl/openssh headaches

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 10:06:56AM +0100, Markus Schönhaber wrote:
11.01.2012 22:41, Tony Baldwin:

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 08:13:53PM +0100, Markus Schönhaber wrote:

Stop and/or uninstall sendmail (or whatever this process might belong to).
I do not have sendmail installed.

Then stop/uninstall the software that listens on port 25 and thus
prevents postfix of doing so.

$ sudo aptitude remove sendmail
NUCLEAR LAUNCH CODE:
No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 0 B will be used.

My understanding is that postfix has something with the same name.

Yes, it's the command line interface to the mail system and it's called
"sendmail" because of sendmail compatibility. But postfix' sendmail
binary never listens on any network socket. The postfix process that
does is called "master".

I have this resolved now (I'm now writing to the list from mail on said server,
over imap with mutt at home).
I figured this out, sort of, before your message, but what I did makes more sense now.

I did see "sendmail" listening on port 25 (lsof -i :25), but didn't have sendmail installed,
which was confusing (exim4 was on by default, but removed when I installed postfix,
but sendmail?), but I killed -9 the pid for sendmail and restarted postfix.
Then lsof -i :25 showed "master" listening on that port, as you say.
And now all seems to be working as it should (or as I expected it should).

Is your mail server going to be accessible from an untrusted network/the
internet?

Yes. It is hosting websites, a gopher site, and, now, e-mail.

./tony
--
http://www.tonybaldwin.me
all tony, all the time