Re: usbmount and user permissions

Hi all

I've recently installed usbmount on Squeeze in order to mount a usb
floppy disk drive to read old floppies. However, usbmount has now
taken over everytime I mount something using usb and only allows me -
as user - to copy from the usb device, not write to it or delete it,
and has to be unmounted using sudo umount /media/usb0

My question is: how do I change this so that I can write and umount
the usb device as user? So far, I have tried: chown, chgrp and chmod
all with no effect. User is also added to all the groups that seem
relevant. Research on-line only refers to the chmod, chgrp and chown
options as well.

Any further ideas on how to change this please?

Thanks
AG

Hi AG,

It would be useful to know what changes you made to
/etc/usbmount/usbmount.conf, and which groups you added yourself to.

Anyway, assuming your USB floppy disk drive behaves like a USB flash
drive, and its file system is vfat, the following should work:

1. Add this line to /etc/usbmount/usbmount.conf:
FS_MOUNTOPTIONS="-fstype=vfat,flush,gid=plugdev,dmask=0002,fmask=0113"

2. Add yourself to the plugdev group.

3. Log in again to for the group membership change to take effect.

To unmount the drive as an unprivileged user, enter this:
pumount /media/usb

Also read the comments about the sync option in
/etc/usbmount/usbmount.conf, and modify MOUNTOPTIONS accordingly.

--
Cheers,
Clive

  • Re: fstab entries for two different pendrives?
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: USB hub problem.
    ... I've a Toshiba USB 3.0 hard disk drive and when I attach it directly to the ... '/dev/sg3' and the mount command refuses to mount it ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Automount
    ... I have installed usbmount that automatically mount and unmount USB mass ... Will USB mount work with a phone and MicroSD cards in the card reader on ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • hi, problem with Canyon portable HDD with USB interface
    ... Can't mount Canyon portable HDD with USB interface ... bfa00000-cfbfffff: PCI Bus #01 ... I/O behind bridge: 0000b000-0000bfff ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Automount
    ... I have installed usbmount that automatically mount and unmount USB mass ... Will USB mount work with a phone and MicroSD cards in the card reader on ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ... Trouble? ...
    (Debian-User)