Re: Securing Debian

On 26/01/12 16:12, Stayvoid wrote:
Hello there!

I'm going to run my own server (website + MTA).
Here is the chosen solution:
https://www.gandi.net/hosting/vps/dedicated (Debian 6 64 bits without
Gandi AI).
Is it OK?

This is my first attempt to administer a server and I want to be as
secure as possible.
Could you give any advice on this topic? What should be done in the first place?
Are there any Gentoo-Hardened-like security addons available for Debian?

I'm thinking about Apache + Postfix. I also want to read my mail
through Emacs (Rmail). Should I install anything else to make it work
(SSH etc.)?

I'd like to use this server as a proxy too. (I don't want to give
anyone a chance to look through my traffic.) Is it a good idea? Is it
even possible? Are there any better solutions for this purpose?

The first thing you should look at is

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/

(Which just happens to be the first match when googling the subject of this email)

--
Dom

  • Securing Debian
    ... I'm going to run my own server. ... Here is the chosen solution: ... This is my first attempt to administer a server and I want to be as ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • RE: Cant reboot after update
    ... Kernel panic-not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on ... server in our server room just after I started a normal reboot, ... etch host running on a Dell PowerEdge 2450 server. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: psad, aptitude, man, mutt, all suddenly broken on my Lenny server. Im very concerned.