Re: egrep oddity

On 2012-02-05 22:31 +0100, Tomas Volka wrote:

On Ne 05-02-12 | 16:03, Neal Murphy wrote:
For quite some time now, I've been getting peeved with egrep not doing what it
should.

I have Squeese installed and up-to-date. In an xterm running bash or on a
console running bash or dash, this command:
ls -C1 | egrep "^[A-Z]"
returns all lines except those beginning with 'a'. Even the following commands
exhibit similar behavior:
alias|sed -e 's/^a/b/'|egrep "^[A-Z]" # passes sed's output untouched
alias|sed -e 's/^a/A/'|egrep "^[A-Z]" # passes sed's output untouched

These commands behave the same way on another Squeeze installation at another
location. Also, 'grep -E' behaves the same way.

The commands behave as expected on a different GNU/Linux system.

Does anyone else see this behavior? Or do I need to clean my pipe and smoke
something better?

Thanks,

The "^[A-Z]" range will never match line beginning with a, since the range
matches only uppercase characters.

Not quite true, this very much depends on the locale.

Sven