Re: Lenny security support dropped

Andrew Wood wrote:

Well, I love Debian Lenny, the first release that I use regularly,
it's very sad news
It was the first version of Debian I used too

It was my eighth release of debian -- Man, do I feel old now ;-)

but I wouldnt call it a sad day. On the contrary Im excited for
the future of Debian - Wheezy and Gnome 3 look great.

For my desktop I am less into look and more into functions. Gnome3
comes are some nice ideas with good usability.

Using Wheezy as my main desktop OS now. Used to
be a Mac fan but hate the new UI in OS X Lion, think Gnome 3 is much
more elegant.

It sure is elegant. If only it would be less patronizing.
Lots of formerly already few available config options are simply
gone. Many others are better hidden than ever before. E.g. there
is no GUI way to configure the backdrop of gdm any more. The top
panel is not configurable at all. More panels need some trickery
to spawn in the first place. There is no power off item in the
panel menu, only log-out...

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak
Email: kmk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  • Re: Unable to connect to network
    ... Of course it's installed and works if you use root! ... instructions - 'phone.coop') in either Xubuntu or Debian I also get identical ... Gnome - fails to access the network. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Upgrading from Etch to Lenny
    ... Why do you think it is not advertised as a Debian release. ... Check the debian-release archives as to why the later version of GNOME ... So why do garden-variety desktop users complain then? ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: gnome-panel sucking up system resources
    ... Killed the .gnome and .gnome2 directories but the result is the same. ... The panel for the test user came up using system colours...and my panel was set to use a solid background color. ... When I switched my panel background to system colours, ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: [OT] Why not gnome3 (with gnome-shell)?