Re: "Gnome" package now requires installing "tracker"?

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 21:52:25 +0100, Claudius Hubig wrote:

Camaleón <noelamac@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

Today I have run a dist-upgrade and tracker wanted to get installed.

I didn't have it installed since I'm running wheezy.

Why this hard dependency? Is tracker now a requirement for those who
want a full GNOME desktop? :-?

P.S. "gnome" requires "gnome-documents" and "gnome-documents" requires
"tracker".

Package: gnome
[…]
Depends: gnome-core (= 1:3.0+7), desktop-base, alacarte (>= 0.13.2),

(...)

Given this enormous amount of dependencies, I really don’t think you can
complain about tracker.

More than a complaint, I'd like to know why there exists such as
requirement "now". It was not just a few weeks ago.

Additionally, gnome is just a meta package, so you can safely choose to
ignore it.

I have installed "gnome" (the metapackage). I want to install
"gnome" (the metapackage), but tracker was not a requirement to have the
full GNOME desktop. Until now. There are another desktop search/indexers
solutions out there and GNOME did not force us to stick to one of them.

I have to agree, though, that gnome-documents and, more importantly,
nautilus[1] depending upon tracker might be unfortunate,

Yes, it is. That's why I added my comments at the open bug.

but then again: Use something else if you don’t like tracker. To ease
things further, I bet that there is a way not to start tracker once it
is installed.

I know how to configure tracker. I use it in my main workstation, it's
really useful, but it makes no sense to have it installed on the netbook
and I tend to avoid installing applications that I don't use, they waste
hard disk space, are prone to bugs, need to be updated...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

  • RE: [opensuse] FYI: Howto disable tracker
    ... It won't start during login but would not prevent other applications to start tracker and what ever search tool is installed. ... Install the GNOME file manager and you will see. ... Like i said - These tools are developed from developers using a single PC for users using a single PC. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] 11.4 - is tracker beagle in disguise?
    ... Ask Apple users. ... It has been a major selling point for Mac OS for years. ... every time tracker woke up. ... but we can't restrict the default install to just perfect programs. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Here we go again. (was Re: [opensuse] 11.4 - is tracker beagle in disguise?)
    ... things that have changed is that tracker gets quietly installed by ... [Do Not Install] ... recommend tracker. ... So, it's probably gnome-main-menu. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Announcing Fedora Tracker
    ... You can directly search for packages in the ... > repositories and download and install it in a go. ... yum into the Tracker. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Signs Your Computer is Hacked or Owned
    ... a few servers (FTP & a second web server) were installed. ... listed many unfamiliar and strange connections. ... dialing, required reboots to install bad code, etc..) ... It's a shame that Tracker won't fix the list, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)