Re: How to avoid screen blanking?

Felix Koop, 25.02.2012:
Do you have SID installed? This is what I get:

jupiter:~# LANG=C dpkg -l gnome-screensaver

Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
||/ Name Version Description
+++-====================-====================-========================================================
ii gnome-screensaver 3.2.0-2+b1 GNOME screen saver and
locker
jupiter:~# which gnome-screensaver-preferences
jupiter:~# apt-file search gnome-screensaver-preferences
jupiter:~#

So I do have the package gnome-screensaver installed, but it does not
have that file. Same result when I search at the web:
http://http://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=contents&keywords=gnome-screensaver-preferences&mode=exactfilename&suite=unstable&arch=any
No file is found.

I'm sorry, I should have made sure that the file exists. I do have
sid installed but now that I checked, the file isn't there, even
though the gnome-screensaver package is installed. I believe apt-file
has a cache and I guess it doesn't get updated every time the system's
packages get updated. My bad. (Actually, does it every get updated if
one doesn't set up a cron job or do it manually?)

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Felix Koop

Am Samstag, den 25.02.2012, 16:07 -0600 schrieb Selim T. Erdogan:
Felix Koop, 25.02.2012:
Hi Rob,

I do not have that command (gnome-screensaver-preferences) installed and
did not find it in any debian SID package. I am using Debian SID. Do you
also use SID and can tell me in which package this command is?

It's in gnome-screensaver:

$ apt-file search gnome-screensaver-preferences
gnome-screensaver: /usr/bin/gnome-screensaver-preferences

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Felix Koop

Am Samstag, den 25.02.2012, 15:19 -0500 schrieb Rob Owens:
Sorry, forgot to cc you.
-Rob

----- Forwarded message from Rob Owens <rowens@xxxxxxx> -----

Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 15:17:41 -0500
From: Rob Owens <rowens@xxxxxxx>
To: debian-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: How to avoid screen blanking?

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 08:39:43PM +0100, Felix Koop wrote:
Thanks for your answers. Please keep me on cc as I am currently not
subscribed to this list.

I tried "xset dpms force off" but that would blank the screen directly.
"xset -dpms" will switch dpms off (at least according to "xset q", but
will not stop the blanking. Same with xset s off or xset s 0. Both
settings do not help. I also commented out the "Option DPMS" in
xorg.conf file, but somehow this seems to come back in as "xset q" after
logging in will show DPMS as enabled.

Yes, I am using gnome and my window manager is gdm3. I tried searching
power settings under org.gnome in dconf-editor, but did not find any.
Could you be more specific where they should be? Or do I need to install
any package to have those settings available?

Try running gnome-screensaver-preferences

You can uncheck "activate screensaver when computer is idle"

-Rob

----- End forwarded message -----

  • Re: How to avoid screen blanking?
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Sources.list Question
    ... updating the package list. ... Repeat if you need to upgrade just that package, either by install it ... I need to upgrade Opendkim version 2.0.1 but squeeze repository remains ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: How to avoid screen blanking?
    ... Do you have SID installed? ... So I do have the package gnome-screensaver installed, ... I do not have that command (gnome-screensaver-preferences) installed and ... Or do I need to install ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Merging all 30+ Debian CDs onto hard drive
    ... time I want to install a new package. ... fun stuff (and set apt-get to download only). ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Why cant I reinstall locales? [SOLVED]
    ... dummy package, and the real package that locales really requires is ... Says apt-get install. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)