Re: Wheezy - aptitude safe-upgrade vs apt-get dist-upgrade

On 02/27/2012 04:26 AM, Monsieur Louk wrote:
I think you'll find every thing you need in the Debian doc: http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html#_literal_apt_get_literal_literal_apt_cache_literal_vs_literal_aptitude_literal

Quote: The difference between "|safe-upgrade|"/"|upgrade|" and "|full-upgrade|"/"|dist-upgrade|" only appears when new versions of packages stand in different dependency relationships from old versions of those packages. The "|aptitude safe-upgrade|" command does not install new packages nor remove installed packages.

HTH
Merci, Monsieur,

Thanks for your reply. I had done some googling at the debian site and found info on the differences as you state. I have to admit I am not sure which is the best way to update/upgrade my system. I had read a few years ago that "aptitude" was the recommended way as it supposedly handles dependencies better so have always used it. But also "knew" about the statement about it not removing packages, etc. Actually I have seen it do some of that but they may be non-free and contrib. I don't know. I do know that there are "files" removed and new ones installed but then that is NOT a full package as in GNOME going from 2.30.x to Gnome 3.x.

Appreciate the replies. Have received one comment to personal addy that Gnome 3 is buggy and not to use it so am going to check around and see what info I can find about it before I do an apt-get safe-upgrade.

Again, thanks to you and Shaun for the help. Much appreciated. Regards and Cheers to all. You are all a bunch of info to us all.

Whit

Relevant Pages

  • FS: Complete Linux Recording Package Ready To Roll.
    ... How to install Rehmudi-2.0 ... if you don't have any sound, ... dependencies of Agnula Packages ... ... from the new kernel. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Complete Linux Recording Package Ready To Roll.
    ... How to install Rehmudi-2.0 ... if you don't have any sound, ... dependencies of Agnula Packages ... ... from the new kernel. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Apt Gone Mad?-Or Is It Me?-Expert Help Needed
    ... So tried to upgrade OO to 2.0 but Apt refused to do so. ... Aptitude doesn't show anything but Wajig shows unmet dependency for kdelibs-data. ... The following packages are unused and will be REMOVED: agsync arson barcode brahms cdda2wav cddb digikam digikamimageplugins gmessage guarddog guidedog hotswap-gui hotswap-text i2e id3v2 kbarcode kbear kbiff kdebase-dev kdirstat kile kimdaba klog klogic kmymoney2 knetfilter knutclient komba2 kover kprof kpsk krusader ksimus ksimus-boolean ksimus-datarecorder ksimus-floatingpoint ksocrat ksocrat-data kvdr kvirc kvirc-data kvirc-doc kwavecontrol kxmleditor lesstif2 libdynamite libimlib2-dev libkonq4-dev libmimedir liborange ... ChatagnierL-Home:/temp# wajig install openoffice.org Reading Package Lists... ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Which debian sources to use to install to Knoppix 4.0.2?
    ... running into a problem when I install software to version 4.0.2 that I ... Check out the list of extra packages to be installed, ... akregator ark cupsys cupsys-bsd cupsys-client gcc-4.0-base gs-common ... kdepim-kfile-plugins kdepim-kio-plugins kdeprint kdesktop kdessh kdf ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Debian or Ubuntu Dilemma
    ... Debian Stable < Ubuntu < Debian Testing/Unstable < Any Distro w/mutt packaging ... You'll eventually have to compile a few packages with any distro (from Debian ... Ubuntu seems to be a good balance if its default install does almost ...
    (Debian-User)