Re: ntp package. Client by default?

John Hasler wrote:
Ntp should listen on the LAN by default but there is no reason for
it to listen on the _WAN_ by default.

But the difference between those two things depends upon how the
network is configured outside of the local host machine. In other
words, how is the local host machine to know that an ethernet device
is a LAN device or a WAN device?

The eth0 interface may be attached on a private LAN with an RFC1918
address such as 192.168.10.10. Or it might have eth0 configured on
the global and hostile internet with 192.0.43.10. Or it might have a
non-RFC1928 address but only be connected to a LAN. How should the
ntp scripted configuration know this?

Should it try to match against RFC1918 address space and make
assumptions at that point? Because as far as I can see that would be
the only way to have any clue at all that an ethernet device is either
a LAN or WAN. That would mostly work except for when a public IP
address is used on a private LAN space of which there are a lot of
networks set up that way.

Bob

  • Connecting to Exchange Part II
    ... Still can't connect to Exchange over the WAN. ... LAN access works fine. ... One configured for LAN, one for WAN. ... This is a fresh install of SBS with no configuration changes as of yet. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Cant connect to Exchange
    ... Still can't connect to Exchange over the WAN. ... LAN access works fine. ... One configured for LAN, one for WAN. ... This is a fresh install of SBS with no configuration changes as of yet. ...
  • Sonicwall newbie question...
    ... DMZ. ... The WAN is our ... public IP addresses, such as E-Mail and Web Servers, LAN is all ... Or what configuration option I ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Cant connect to Exchange
    ... One configured for LAN, one for WAN. ... This is a fresh install of SBS with no configuration changes as of ... There is nothing on the LAN that will use SBS. ...
  • We have lots of users with SonicWalls for VPN connectivity in to FW-1, possible major security hole
    ... With default rule disabled: Disable default Src: LAN Dst: ALL ... The firewall WAN address is 24.184.168.52 ... A NT server on the internal LAN is 192.168.1.22 ... why is my internal server responding to this packet as a "Destination ...
    (Incidents)