Re: Automatically purging non-official packages

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 02:46:59PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
For instance, by default ppa-purge (or a similar script) is instructed to
remove non official versions of the packages in favor of the ones
available in Debian repositories.

Right! As its name says. :) Consider the command "rm" in the same vein.

Fine, but reverting ffmpeg from D-M to
the official version it can be undesiderable or even break based on the
current pining and priorities (it can leave your system with mixed
libraries from differenet sources).

More precisely, *having D-M* in your sources list can be undesirable¹; it
can leave your system with mixed libraries from different sources.

An interesting read starts here:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2012/03/threads.html#00151

¹Particularly:

"... we have a policy to just close a bug with a very short
explanation if we notice that the crash involves a package from
debian-multimedia.org; everything else is absolutely not worth
the trouble. Cf. also [1]."

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedia/FAQ

-- Napoleon Bonaparte

  • Running testing? -- read this.
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: 2TB USB hard drive for backing up
    ... In fact, I might backup the system (at least, the list of ... packages installed). ... with LUKS and RAID without trouble. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Merging all 30+ Debian CDs onto hard drive
    ... of all the CD's when installing new packages? ... APT-GET INSTALL does allow me to continue, ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ... Trouble? ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: View on UNIX purism in Linux Community
    ... $ apt show alabama alaska arizona arkansas california colorado ... That actually Quite Interesting that there are no packages named ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ... Trouble? ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: No aptitude download.