Re: Unneeded directory..from what?

On Mon, 2012-03-26 at 17:30 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 12:20:01 -0500, John W. Foster wrote:

I'm doing some cleaning of my system and while looking for an answer to
another issue, I discovered this
file: /etc/default/kdm.d/10_desktop-base

I do not use kde at all and have never installed it on this system. I
see nothing showing 'residual' files or configs installed, so where did
this come from, & can I just delete it? frosty

The file is part of "desktop-base" package, I also have it installed in
Lenny. As long as I have the package installed, I wouldn't touch it.

sm01@stt008:~$ dpkg -l | grep desktop-base
ii desktop-base 5.0.3 common files for the Debian Desktop

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Yes I see the problem. I actually discovered the source of the
dependency right after I mailed the list. Thanks for replying, I've
decided to just leave it. Wish there was a Debian setup protocol that
would allow selecting Gnome or Kde, etc. & the installer would use
packages that would simply not have the unneeded files in them. Seems
that would go a long ways towards eliminating bugs. But I am not a
developer & am very grateful for their efforts.
Thanks
frosty

  • Re: How to install Packages on Debian-Wheezy
    ... I've also noticed a graphical package installer that was included in ... the initial install of Debian-Wheezy called, "GDebi Package ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ... Trouble? ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Installation
    ... Tried bug-report but it wouldn't accept terms like 'installer' ... Did you try the 'debian-installer' package? ... I'm hardly going to be reporting a bug with the Suse installer on ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: getting a KDE desktop after install, not Gnome
    ... It is difficult to do a manual package selection, ... > presented by the installer. ... When the session manager appeared, it was gdm, ... > not get KDE but got a Gnome desktop. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: [kde-linux] Flash version 9 not working with Konqueror
    ... have compiled KDE myself from KDE sources, I'm not at all sure that the ... I tried using the Debian installer for flash, ... I made sure that the plugin search paths included ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [opensuse] upgrade
    ... the installer complained a lot about incompatabilities. ... It reformatted the partition that I selected for the installation, it kept the existing swap, it ignored the other drive for my Fedora 10, I even unplugged the IDE drive so that the thing would not try to put the MBR on the Windows drive. ... But there are MANY things about KDE that are totally broken. ... When it then requires a lot of tweaking, the entire justification for moving to linux goes out the window. ...
    (SuSE)