Re: reboot hangs

On 28/03/12 12:24, Miles Fidelman wrote:
Maybe somebody can suggest a fix:

I have an old tower machine - a homebrew that I use as a sandbox. Just
loaded it up with a copy of squeeze, and a xen installation - works
fine, but...
- shutdown -h works just fine
- reboot goes down, gives the console message "restarting system", then
hangs

On an earlier installation (Lenny, x86 install) adding "reboot=bios"
solved the problem. This time around - 64bit image (amd64), squeeze,
none of the reboot=[....] parameters seem to make a difference. (I note
that the Debian installer documentation indicates that reboot=bios only
works with x86).

Any suggestions? Any configuration things I should try to uncover that
might help find a solution (I don't have paperwork on the box, anymore -
so it's going to be a matter of running various probes to figure out
what's on the motherboard and such - suggested commands welcome.)

Thanks!

Miles Fidelman

I suspect you've already thought of this but... could it be an ACPI
problem? I use a number of older machines for development - some require
acpi=force to shutdown properly or they just hang at the last stage of halt.

Kind regards

answers to Debian questions:-