Re: OT: favorite free-software email-subscription / feeds.

On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 09:08:57 -0700, Kelly Clowers wrote:

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 08:55, Camaleón <noelamac@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 22:26:51 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

Can You recommend the debian / linux / free-software free
email-subscription / feeds - the ones You prefer?

Thanks for Your time and advice.

Sure, these are RSS feeds, no e-mail subscriptions anymore :-)

http://www.linux-magazine.com/rss/feed/lmi_full
http://feeds.feedburner.com/LinuxMagazine
http://feeds.feedburner.com/linuxjournalcom
http://feeds.feedburner.com/Phoronix
http://rss.slashdot.org/Slashdot/slashdot

I also followed "Linux Devices¹" (linux hardware related news) but has
been recently adquired by a big magazine and the feeds are now gone :-(

¹http://www.linuxfordevices.com/

Interesting, I always get bored by the actual magazines, and they are so
abstracted and removed from the community... Usually the closer I get to
the community and devs, the more I enjoy it.

:-)

They're mostly written for a non-technical audience and sometimes is
reassuring reading things in plain parlance.

I also visit from time to time "Debian Planet", a very good source to get
in touch with Debian forthcoming stuff. And also follow a couple of
general security feeds ("Security Focus" and "US-CERT") to keep in touch
with the latests security holes.

Although I use atom feeds a lot, I am thinking of using an atom to email
converter, especially if I set up a desktop email client.

I prefer keep things separate (kinda "divide and conquer" approach),
that's why I use:

- Pan (as newsreader for reading/post to mailing lists)
- Mutt (as e-mail client for personal things)
- Thunderbird (as e-mail client for work)
- Liferea (as news feeder for reading web magazines and newspapers)

(heck, I now realize why my RAM consumption reaches up to "1.5 GiB" :-P)

I can easily use Thunderbird as e-mail client, newsreader and also feed
reader and thus removing two programs but I don't like mix up these
things and dedicated applications have their own advantages.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

  • Re: The tellg bug
    ... The problem arises when reading a UNIX text file, where line feeds are ... represented by the line feed character ...
    (comp.lang.cpp)
  • Re: [opensuse] What I Want (was Why I dont upgrade often)
    ... install I've put together... ... where it actually works BETTER in Linux than Windows. ... JumpTV is a website where you can subscribe to TV feeds from stations ... The trailers, news feeds, YouTube etc. all work fine in Linux IF you ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: 17 years before recovery, and the other side of the helpdesk is, umm.., as expected
    ... multimeter probes into the nearest wall socket, take a reading, then ... out of specification mains supply (when you can drop the voltage at the ... room left in the computer room for four 1403N1 printers, ... and both feeds replaced by something with lots ...
    (alt.sysadmin.recovery)
  • Re: SPB Insight
    ... Thanks for reading the review first of all. ... did test it with my x51v and use it daily on my O2 Atom. ... troubles with any other feeds? ... Clinton Fitch Com! ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc)
  • Re: RSS feed suggestions
    ... > Thanks to someone mentioning here Vienna my interest in RSS has been ... What are some good feeds people are reading ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)