Re: Upgrading to an SSD

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 09:22:23AM +0100, Paul Lewis wrote:
I like to try out one of the newish Solid State drives. What has
prompted this is that my machine has started to complain about low disk
space on /root.

Using disk analyser I can see there is loads of free disk space.

This is a 250GB drive but only 22GB is actually being used. Suggesting
to me that I could easily shoehorn my whole operating system (including
home partition ) into one of the cheapish 64GB ss drives.

I'd like to convert my existing hard drive to hold media from the TTV
reciever and perhaps reinstall MythTV absent for a year or so.

Here is my concern. When I installed this system I elected to encrypt
the drive and use lvm.

1. I'd like to avoid 'root' full errors in future.

Is your root partition on the LVM? If not, you might want to consider
making a new LV (perhaps shrinking one of your other partitions and
reclaiming some of that 200GB free space) for root. You could then boot
into a LiveCD, rsync from the old root partition to the new partition
and then update bootloader, fstab etc. Et Voila, you're booting from
root on LVM. Next time root gets full, add a few extents to it.

2. Assuming I have my SSD installed and formatted, what would be the
best, simplest and most trouble free process to move everything from my
existing hard drive to the new SSD?

You might be able to do this online by creating a PV on the SSD, add it
to your VG and then use "pvmove" to migrate LVs between the disks.

  • SUMMARY: Moving /usr From Under Root "/" To Its Own Partition
    ... One of the reasons for doing this is to end up with a smaller root ... Install the boot block and boot off the new drive. ... " In order for the root partition to be fscked and remounted ... D> temporarily on the existing disk. ...
    (SunManagers)
  • Re: Dual Boot Instructions
    ... the PHYSICAL DISK number, ... Partition and Boot Volume as well as other things. ... You should, at any one time, see ONE System Partition and ONE Boot Volume - ... for the typical two floppy drives and assigning Drive C: ...
  • Re: Boot Problem
    ... Right mouse click the dest disk> Advanced> Edit ... but it should eventually boot to Windows. ... I see a lot of posts in here about the ability of Acronis to clone drives. ... I have managed to successfully copy by DELETING partition, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Dual Boot Instructions
    ... OS on a separate partition. ... the PHYSICAL DISK number, ... You should, at any one time, see ONE System Partition and ONE Boot ... The name stuck when we added hard disk drives, ...
  • Re: HDD speeds
    ... relatively small first partition with the OS crap (and, ... the highest sdtr part of the disk, the start of the disk space on the ... bespoke partition space will have much less impact than if they could ... Ecogreen drives make more sense for an always on NAS ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)