Apache2 and Debian

I'm trying to set up a web server under Debian, with Apache2, and i
don't understand the configuration. IThe original setup for Debian and
Apache2 has /var/www as the root of the web server. I've created a
number of folders below it for individual packages, such as:

/var/www/phpmyadmin
/var/www/phpmyedit
/var/www/mediawiki
/var/www/phpbb3

These all work fine.

Now I'm trying to move the default document root to /var/www/website,
and that's where the problem is coming in. I can read/display the
index.html file from http://localhost/ , but I cannot read/display *.php
from it. All I'm getting from any php files is the HTML; the php appears
to not be executing. PHP is loaded properly, or phpmyadmin, phpmyedit,
mediawiki, and phpbb3 wouldn't work, and they do.

So it's a configuration problem.

Anyone care to walk me through checking permissions and configuration
files, starting with a default document root of /var/www/website and
intending to serve out html and process PHP files from all folders below
that?

  • Re: php-4.3.4-Win + Apache2 + XP
    ... I run a nearly identical configuration for AMP (Apache, MySQL, PHP). ... > to undertake the installation of mySQL after PHP is successfully ... Is it the Apache2 server? ...
    (alt.php)
  • Re: php-4.3.4-Win + Apache2 + XP
    ... I run a nearly identical configuration for AMP (Apache, MySQL, PHP). ... > to undertake the installation of mySQL after PHP is successfully ... Is it the Apache2 server? ...
    (comp.lang.php)
  • Re: [SLE] php no longer working
    ... I assume you did load the php modules during install. ... srv/www/htdocs dir there are no php files. ... I thought by default apache2 would ... You may need to add an option in the config file for the root directory. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Help with php5 install under windows
    ... This includes moving php from the ... Enable the PHP scripting language engine under Apache. ... or per-virtualhost web server configuration file. ... The PHP directives register_globals, ...
    (php.general)
  • ADODB PHP Extension Help
    ... I want to take advantage of the ease of porting that the ADODB PHP extensions will afford as I begin conversion of my old, ... I am using mysqli as my database connection. ... # configuration directives that give the server its instructions. ... dynamically loaded extension, ...
    (comp.lang.php)