Re: OT: More about GPG signing

Hello Tony,

Tony van der Hoff <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
What is the benefit of such a signature?

Those who know him now can verify the signature. In addition, if at
any later stage someone else claims to have posted this message, the
OP can prove that it was indeed him who posted it. Everybody else
interested in either the OP or the message can also verify the
signature (though that might require some work to, for example, meet
the OP personally).

However, you are absolutely free to ignore the signature if it is of
no value to you and most clients will even hide it by default (or
show a small button). There is, however, no way to avoid excessive
quoting, which can easily exceed the size of a signature.

Best regards,

Claudius
--
Patageometry, n.:
The study of those mathematical properties that are invariant

  • Re: how can we restrict what certificate WSE will use?
    ... > X509SecurityTokenManager to verify the request is from a trusted client. ... > certificate to build a valid signature and encrypted data section. ...
  • Re: Keyed hash vs Digital signature ????
    ... For DSIGs you usually use certificates. ... Otherwise it is not possible to verify that you are really using the right public key ... Certs can be made available in various ways - e.g. you can embed them in the signature, make them downloadable and so forth. ... I have understand that hashing a file with a keyed Hash class, ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.security)
  • Re: Check EXE for MY signature only
    ... signature - but at least the code-signing certificate would reveal WHO ... I am trying to figure out how to verify that a dll is signed by my own ... I should probably compare the public key, ...
    (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
  • RE: problem verifying XML signature
    ... I've just tried to verify your signature using v2.0, ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.security)
  • Re: OT: More about GPG signing
    ... Tony van der Hoff wrote: ... Those who know him now can verify the signature. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)