Re: how to update Debian OS properly

On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 7:17 PM, Lisi <lisi.reisz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Saturday 26 May 2012 12:43:45 you wrote:
I prefer to use aptitude full-upgrade routinely - but I have the code
name in my sources.list, not stable or testing.  I then change the code
name when I want to get the more recent version.  So, Squeeze not stable,
Muhammad.  you could get in quite a mess at the changeover point from
Squeeze to Wheezy if you have stable in your sources.list, as several
people have pointed out.

if i use Squeeze (the code name) instead stable, sid or anything.
should i not to worry about system crash? is it what people here mean
to say (who support code name "squeeze" ) that if i "apt-get
upgrade/full-upgrade/safe-upgrade" will not crash my system if using
squeeze. because what i am worried about  here is system crash.

I'm afraid that I don't understand you. Why should you have a system crash?

I'm afraid that I don't understand you. Why should you >have a system crash?

i know my question regarding comparing Windows and Linux a bit
annoying, but i had bad experiences with upgrading windows from one
version to another one. and in linux i just run the command "ap-get
upgrade" and after few minutes i was working in wheezy regardless of
sid or testing (so the simplicity of the process left me very
confuse). i know how patches and service packs in
windows can turn people's life to nightmare. actually i am the only
resource in system and network in my company and i am the only one who
is motivating management to shift to linux. so i am a bit scared.
because this is new world to me.

however i learn too much from this thread and from this mailing list.
i am thankful to everyone for sharing your views/thoughts/suggestions
. i know remaining confusions will be clears after getting use to
with linux.

Thanks

And what are you trying to achieve?

Always use code names, and incidentally Sid is the code-name for unstable, a
code-name which never changes.

So choose which you want.  From the sound of things you want Squeeze.  Install
Squeeze.  Check that Squeeze is in your sources.list, and only Squeeze at
this stage.  No mention of stable or anything else.  Update Squeeze.
(aptitude update followed by aptitude full-upgrade or aptitude safe-upgrade.)
From then on you will only basically get security updates, though there are
periodic point releases for Squeeze to iron out some remaining bugs etc.

For now, and while you bed down with Debian/Linux, simply ignore all mentions
of Wheezy, stable, Sid, unstable, testing etc.  Time enough to come to terms
with those when you understand fully what is going on or when Wheezy has
become Stable and Squeeze is Old Stable.

apt is now preferred to aptitude by many on this list, but I am more familiar
with aptitude, and might have got the commands slightly wrong had I attempted
to give you them.  (I did last time that I did so.)  But for what you are
doing now, either is fine, and when it comes to upgrading to a new release,
the release notes will tell you which to use.

But above all, keep things simple for now.  And when you ask a question, try
to express it without reference to Windows.  Many of us do not use Windows,
and in my case I have not done so since Windows 98, which I don't remember
very well.

HTH
Lisi