RedHat, Fedora future?

From: Robin Laing (Robin.Laing_at_drdc-rddc.gc.ca)
Date: 02/05/04

    To: fedora-list@redhat.com
    Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 08:50:28 -0700

    Here is an article about the future of Red Hat and with that Fedora.
    It puts to question about Red Hat's ability to compete with SUSE since
    it was purchased by Novell.

    Red Hat or SUSE for the enterprise? Hint: Bet the chameleon
    <http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=04/01/28/219249>

    I like Fedora but I don't like that it doesn't follow the standards as
    laid down by the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard
    <http://www.pathname.com/fhs/index.html> for location of applications
    and files. This causes some problems when trying to get support as
    the application site states one location and the file is in another
    location on RH. This can cause allot of confusion with new users (I
    have seen it) when they have problems.

    Standards are to be followed to ensure compatibility. If things are
    not standard, it creates more work for software writers and thus
    affects support.

    Linux Standard Base <http://www.linuxbase.org/index.php>

    --
    Robin Laing

    • Re: SUSE 64 or Fedora?
      ... I am tired of Windows completely now ... > I have been running Fedora core 1 on my laptop since it came out and ... > recommend SUSE over Fedora? ... Can read Red Hat ext3 partitions (Red Hat has problems reading SuSE's ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: A new license for YaSt
      ... > It looks like yast will be GPL'd on monday. ... The bulk of it is heavily oriented to being run on a SuSE distro, ... detection tool) would probably have more bits of interest to Fedora, ... but latest Red Hat did" and "I tried latest Red Hat ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: How do you know?
      ... Pretty much everyone here has made the choice to use Fedora over the other ... I used to run SuSE on all my servers and Red Hat on my ... Then came an ill fated day when I build two brand new DNS servers on SuSE ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: SUSE 64 or Fedora?
      ... > I have been running Fedora core 1 on my laptop since it came out and ... Red Hat AS 3 in y office) but now I'm looking for a new desktop orientated ... Suse seems a perfect choice for me. ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: Check the linux type?
      ... How do i check what linux type am i using from a script. ... or suse or fedora. ... I always believed /proc/version was standard, I just checked the two distros ...
      (alt.os.linux)