RedHat, Fedora future?

From: Robin Laing (Robin.Laing_at_drdc-rddc.gc.ca)
Date: 02/05/04

    To: fedora-list@redhat.com
    Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 08:50:28 -0700

    Here is an article about the future of Red Hat and with that Fedora.
    It puts to question about Red Hat's ability to compete with SUSE since
    it was purchased by Novell.

    Red Hat or SUSE for the enterprise? Hint: Bet the chameleon
    <http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=04/01/28/219249>

    I like Fedora but I don't like that it doesn't follow the standards as
    laid down by the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard
    <http://www.pathname.com/fhs/index.html> for location of applications
    and files. This causes some problems when trying to get support as
    the application site states one location and the file is in another
    location on RH. This can cause allot of confusion with new users (I
    have seen it) when they have problems.

    Standards are to be followed to ensure compatibility. If things are
    not standard, it creates more work for software writers and thus
    affects support.

    Linux Standard Base <http://www.linuxbase.org/index.php>

    --
    Robin Laing