ESR mm updates fail

From: Dave Stevens (geek_at_uniserve.com)
Date: 02/09/04

    To: fedora-list@redhat.com
    Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 10:27:02 -0800

    I tried to perform the updates suggested in Eric Raymond's recent Fedora
    Multimedia How-to and this is what happened. I don't understand what is going
    on here. Anyone?

    Dave

    [root@localhost dave]# up2date flash-plugin xmms-mp3 xine totem mozilla-j2re
    mozilla-acroread

    Fetching package list for channel: fedora-core-1...

    Fetching
    http://fedora.redhat.com/releases/fedora-core-1/headers/header.info...

    Fetching package list for channel: updates-released...

    Fetching
    http://fedora.redhat.com/updates/released/fedora-core-1/headers/header.info...

    Fetching Obsoletes list for channel: fedora-core-1...

    Fetching Obsoletes list for channel: updates-released...

    Fetching rpm headers...

    Name Version Rel

    The following packages you requested were not found:
    flash-plugin
    xmms-mp3
    xine
    totem
    mozilla-j2re
    mozilla-acroread
    [root@localhost dave]# yum update
    Server: Fedora Core 1 - i386 - Base
    Server: Fedora Core 1 Dag Wieers' repository
    Server: Macromedia flash-plugin site
    Server: Livna.org Fedora Compatible Packages (stable)
    Server: Livna.org Fedora Compatible Packages (testing)
    Server: Livna.org Fedora Compatible Packages (unstable)
    Server: Fedora Core 1 - i386 - Released Updates
    Finding updated packages
    Downloading needed headers
    Resolving dependencies
    .....identical dependency loop exceeded
    package xmms-mp3 needs xmms = 1.2.7 (not provided)
    [root@localhost dave]#

    --
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings

    • Re: Choosing a distribution
      ... I've been using Fedora 7 for the past month or two and it provides ... Mostly the 'continuous updates' philosophy, if you do 'yum update all' ... of a server and wanted to go the RPM route I'd go with CentOS. ... However it is also my desktop machine so I ...
      (Ubuntu)
    • Re: Update of a remote server
      ... Fedora 7 is still supported so there is no reason to upgrade your ... server to F8, just do a yum -y update to get the updates to 7. ... CentOS, which is RHEL, is maintained for seven years from the date of the ...
      (alt.os.linux.redhat)
    • Re: update production systems
      ... Is "yum update" recommend for sensible production systems? ... It is better not to use Fedora for production servers. ... less frequent and possibly better tested than updates to Fedora. ... similarly configured test server before deploying to any production server. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: php ?
      ... you can get the packages from a Red Hat archive server ... Sorry - I don't use Fedora. ... FC4 is getting old, and as mentioned has a LARGE number of updates (there ...
      (linux.redhat)
    • Re: How to build a local yum update server??
      ... that i only must download the updates one time. ... >>And the client then get the updates from my update server. ... server and the fedora server to download it from my server to save bandwidth. ...
      (Fedora)